Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about my commander and I really don’t know where each of them would best be situated so I grouped them all here. I apologize if this is the incorrect method.

I recently upgraded to a 2006 3.7L Jeep Commander and I’m loving it. However the basic 36month/60000km warranty has expired but I still have the 5yr/100000km power train warranty. The question I have for the Canadian members and American (if you guys can help me also) is how much an extended warranty will cost?

Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. I’m not too sure if it’s related to the transmission or if it’s the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking, does anyone have any ideas?

Another issue is a small knocking type sound that seems to be coming from underneath. I took it to a friend who worked at a Ford dealership and he mentioned it could be the front stabilizers but when he got under and looked at it he didn’t think it was that. Sometimes it’s a clicking sound when I’m turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I don’t know from what. Anyone have any suggestions?

Once again I apologize if this post is totally in the wrong area and that I’m new to these forums.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Another issue is a small knocking type sound that seems to be coming from underneath. I took it to a friend who worked at a Ford dealership and he mentioned it could be the front stabilizers but when he got under and looked at it he didn’t think it was that. Sometimes it’s a clicking sound when I’m turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I don’t know from what. Anyone have any suggestions?
Probably your traction control working.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. I’m not too sure if it’s related to the transmission or if it’s the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking

What colour and consistancy if the leaking fluid?

it’s a clicking sound when I’m turning on bumpy ice (Edmonton, Alberta roads are bad in winter) but I don’t know from what.
If you are accelerating or beaking when it sounds ... it's for sure the automatic traction control .. it usually sounds like a shuddering or rapid vibrating from one of the wheels.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A common leak, is the rubber sections of the trans cooler lines. Which is just below the radiator, on the right side. Their are 2, which are right next to each other. I live in Michigan, and have noticed alot more noise, from the front suspension, during the winter. At times, you would think something is loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fluid and consistency of the leaking fluid looks like it could actually be the trans cooler line that is leaking as Motorcity said. As for the knocking/clicking sound thats coming i dont think its the traction control as this morning i was driving on dry pavement and went over a bump, nothing major but enough to have the shocks absorb it, and i could hear a rattle type sound coming from underneath. Just cant determine though what it could be. A person here at work says that their 05 Cheeroke has hard shocks when its really cold out side, could that be my issue to possibly? Maybe with the bushings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, took it to the dealer today and they said it was the transmission coolent line that was leaking, and that its not covered by the powertrain warranty and said that the part is about $100 and with labour im looking at about $600 total. I said that i would get the part myself, and change it on my own (actually someone i know that does that kinda of stuff). Kinda sucks that thats only covered by the 3yr/60k warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about my commander and I really don’t know where each of them would best be situated so I grouped them all here. I apologize if this is the incorrect method.

I recently upgraded to a 2006 3.7L Jeep Commander and I’m loving it. However the basic 36month/60000km warranty has expired but I still have the 5yr/100000km power train warranty. The question I have for the Canadian members and American (if you guys can help me also) is how much an extended warranty will cost?

Also I noticed that when you pop open the hood and look down, left of the radiator there looks to be a leak coming from two of the hoses. I’m not too sure if it’s related to the transmission or if it’s the power steering coolant but it does seem to be leaking, does anyone have any ideas?

Once again I apologize if this post is totally in the wrong area and that I’m new to these forums.
Hey there I had the exact same leak! Front passenger side connected to the radiator. I took it in for service and it was a hose that needed to be replaced which was leaking transmission fluid. I want to say it was connected to the transducer but I think that was a star trek episode. Tran something but not transfer case or transmission. Mine is fixed and I have had no further problems. The mechanic said that our cold climates often cause these hoses to leak and I can expect to replace them every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There's GOT to be a braided stainless steel after market hose for that?

I put a HydroVac breaking system on a pick up once that used the power steering pump as the power assist ... I had trouble with the lines and got full thickness hydraulic lines made up ... they last forever and werew not that expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, i heard from a lot of people that its a common problem with Chrysler's but its all good. My dad is a manager of a body shop so we are gonna replace it ourself tomorrow. Due to my dad knowing someone at the dealer i got the part for only 60. Kinda sucks but guess it was leaking before i had purchased the vehicle. Im probably going to have to take it in to the dealer still due to the fact that they will need to check the transmission level as i dont have a dipstick. I hope they dont grill me money if they are the only ones that can check the transmission fluid level.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see that you have got a lot of responses for your fluid leak nproblem so i will address noise issue and some possible fixes. first... check and make sure that your spare is cranked up all that way and tight. two.. the splash guards take a beating in winter climates with all the weight of ice and snow build up and i have found that they are flimsiilly attached to the rest of the flimsy plastic by small machine screws. i replaced all of the screws on my splash guards with fatter ones with corser threads for betted attachment. to get to the screws you will have to jack the xk up and remove the wheels. ( read manual for procedure ) that cured my noises.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts