Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A week ahead of a planned Fiat/Chrysler press conference in which Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of both automakers, was to outline the future of Chrysler, much of the information has been revealed in an in-depth report in the Wall Street Journal. But before we get to the new products that the Italian-owned automaker is planning to bring into the North American marketplace, it's time to learn the fate of the vehicles being axed. And judging from the list, it appears as though Fiat is intent on moving its products in and Chrysler's products out.

The vehicles to be cut include the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Sebring. On the Dodge side, four models will be eliminated, including the Caliber, Nitro, Avenger and Grand Caravan. Three Jeeps will also meet their maker: the Commander, Compass and Patriot.

In place of these vehicles Fiat is ready to announce the introduction of the 500 in 2011, along with three Alfa Romeo vehicles: the MiTo (shown above), Milano (which will replace the 147) and another yet unnamed mid-sized sedan.

The rest of the plan will see the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger redesigned in 2011, with the Grand Cherokee due out soon. And with only two Chrysler products left, the rumored decision to axe that brand's name may just happen.

The Wall Street Journal made no mention of past reports that the Fiat Panda would see its way to the U.S. as a Jeep. There is also no word on if the Fiat 500 will be offered in just it's standard hatchback form, or if a convertible and sporty Abarth version will also join the product lineup.

More: Breaking: Fiat to Kill-Off Nine Chrysler Group Vehicles Including Sebring, Grand Caravan on AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I wouldnt touch an Alfa...ever! Low value Italian rubbish!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It will be very interesting to see how the Charger is redesigned.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wouldnt touch an Alfa...ever! Low value Italian rubbish!
That's interesting. I've heard that POV before. What makes you say that? I've also heard that Alfas are a [pain] to work on. They use non-standard sized bolts and fasteners and to get to anything you might as well just pull the engine.

Sucks about our beloved Commander. They are clearly staying with models with a proven track record for sales and popularity - Wrangler and GC.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am on a Chrysler customer advisory board.
The Fiat 'partnership' was a hotly discussed item.
I stated at the time I saw no value in the arrangement and all Fiat would do is desseminate the corporation and finish what MB started.
There will be many jobs lost as Fiat gains a instant avenue to market their uh, stuff.
I saw no value in the arrangement before it happened, I see even less now.

It is a very sad day for another proud, once DOMESTIC automaker.
The Fiat trash was run out in the 60's and early 70's.
Anyone who owned one got stiffed when they pulled out.
Looks like history will repeat itself, only this time a different player falls.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I thought we already knew the Commander was going after 2010?
In one of the threads an insider hinted to an extension to 2012.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
One question: if they kill of the Chrysler brand, how can they still call it the Chrysler company?

Either way, its another sad day for the American auto industry. I'm not going to buy anything made by Fiat, and since GM's out for me too, guess there'll be a Ford in my driveway next.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well at least when I am done with the Commander I have permission to get a four door Rubicon.

I hate that so many products are getting axed, but I will reserve judgement on Alfa's until I can see and drive one.

I would be surprised if in this day and age Alfa was still using non standard sized bolts and such especially if they want to sell in America.

·
Registered
127 Posts
FIAT = Fix It Again Tony.....

I lived in Europe for 9 years....would never buy a Fiat or Alfa Romeo. Sure they look nice but the quality is horrid. Only once you start getting into the higher end AF's you start to get a little more quality. The mid and low end....poop city.

Looks like Ford will need to step up big time and clinch the #1 spot in the US. Never liked Fords but will always buy American.

I can see Toyota and Honda just sitting back and laughing at this one....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Axing the Commander is very sad news .... but not fully unexpected :(

I can NOT see myself buying anything Fiat either ...

I wonder what that news will do to used Commander prices? When the supply of Commanders drys up will the price skyrocket? :(

If they stay on an even keel and there's fairly low mileage ones available we could be good until 2015 even.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, Honda and Toyota is loving all this - I just picked up a '10 Pilot EX-L a couple months ago. Didnt trust Chrysler or GM, and although I love me some Fords, the Explorer just didnt stack up to the Pilot in regards to mpg and bells/whistles for the price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just more selling off of America. My first inclination is a P.C. conspiracy to get rid of all the 'bad' cars...aka SUV's. The only new vehicles I've ever bought were Jeeps. There's no way I'll buy an Italian car. Couldn't imagine how I would cram a family of four into a Fiat with all the crap you have to carry for children.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
That's interesting. I've heard that POV before. What makes you say that? I've also heard that Alfas are a [pain] to work on. They use non-standard sized bolts and fasteners and to get to anything you might as well just pull the engine.
Based on the fact my brother-in-law has had two recently and both of them suffered major electronic and mechanical problems, we had a number of them on our company car fleet and after a year we offloaded them because regular breakdowns and the fact they've been regarded as smart looking low value rubbish in England for years.

They also have a poor dealer and support reputation over here.

Lets face it, the Italians are not famous for reliable cars or supercars!

·
Registered
329 Posts
What a mistake to end the Commander line and bring in a tinny piece of crap. I love the solid feel of riding in my Commander as well as the comfortable seats and knowing that it is a "go anywhere" vehicle. My Jeeps in the past have always been low maintenance and dependable. What a shame!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I think this could cause more demand for the vehicle so that could be a good thing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Our beloved Chrysler Corp was killed years ago, its been on life support for MANY years. Despite several GREAT cars (Commander,Challenger, Charger etc.) The writing has been on the wall for some time. It's sad, but reality can be tough. Ford makes a great car, and probably the best truck. I love my Jeeps and hope it will survive intact with NO medling by Fiat. Looks like I'm keeping my Commander for a LONG time. Just my 2 cents worth. -43

·
Registered
62 Posts
Our Commander will be kept on the road for damn near ever but our next new car will be a Challenger when the Solstice hits 100k and I can stop worrying about the waranty and start modifying the hell out of the engine. That will be in a couple years...I hope they are still making Challengers new then.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts