Jeep Commander Forum banner

Finally a XK owner

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  PokerMunkee 
#1 · (Edited)
Welp, as some of you know, I purchased a 2009 Limited 5.7 QD-II with 230k miles. Paid $3500 and rolled the dice. Flew out to D.C. and bought sight unseen. It was a fun 3 day road trip, stopped at a lot of fun places. She got us home on the 1800 mile voyage. Have a few issues, which I expected, so I'll be posting here quite a bit. The main issue is the transmission sometimes shift rough and wouldn't go into OD a few times after a rough shift. A restart of the car got it back to into OD. The car now has a CEL, which I'm pretty sure is related to the transmission. I will hookup my DiablsoSport Predator tonight and hopefully be able to read the codes. I'm hoping it's just a solenoid pack, which seems to be a common issue with the 545RFE. Looks to be about $200 for a kit, plus fluid and filter.

My other issue is there is no heat on passenger's side. Just blows cold. Driver's side does both just fine. Another common issue with these Jeeps. I'll dig into the dash tonight to troubleshoot.

I need to figure out what lift kit to get, as I need new tires and this thing looks ridiculous with the stock height/tires.

Some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you're gonna be working on the transmission anyway, you might look into a Transgo shift kit. They really improve the transmission responsiveness, which is one of my main complaints about the 545RFE.

If you have the money, a full OME kit is the way to go. It'll outperform the stock suspension and all spacer lift kits off road, and offers a much less floaty feel on road.

Otherwise, look at the Crown lift kit. I've mentioned it a few times on this forum, and for $100 or so the price is unbeatable. It's a simple steel spacer lift, but it'll get you lifted and leveled with enough room for a 31" tire, possibly a 32" with a little work.

As far as the passenger side blowing cold, it's likely just a blend door gear. If you pull out the glove box and look to the left, you'll see an actuator motor. This controls the passenger heating/cooling, and typically the gear used to connect the motor to the blend door breaks. As long as the gear is the only piece broken, it's a quick fix as long as you can find a new gear.

Reactions: PokerMunkee
#4 ·
I actually found doing the OME lift was slightly cheaper than even doing a stock replacement....crazy.

If you don't have the $, the spacer lift is the way to go. I was going to do that before I decided on the OME setup, so I have a set just chillin, unused.

Good luck, certainly is a "fun" process. You'll get a ton of different answers on tires too; I have the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and they're incredibly great tires, at a great price as well.

#5 ·
Welp, as some of you know, I purchased a 2009 Limited 5.7 QD-II with 230k miles. Paid $3500 and rolled the dice. Flew out to D.C. and bought sight unseen. It was a fun 3 day road trip, stopped at a lot of fun places. She got us home on the 1800 mile voyage. Have a few issues, which I expected, so I'll be posting here quite a bit. The main issue is the transmission sometimes shift rough and wouldn't go into OD a few times after a rough shift. A restart of the car got it back to into OD. The car now has a CEL, which I'm pretty sure is related to the transmission. I will hookup my DiablsoSport Predator tonight and hopefully be able to read the codes. I'm hoping it's just a solenoid pack, which seems to be a common issue with the 545RFE. Looks to be about $200 for a kit, plus fluid and filter.

My other issue is there is no heat on passenger's side. Just blows cold. Driver's side does both just fine. Another common issue with these Jeeps. I'll dig into the dash tonight to troubleshoot.

I need to figure out what lift kit to get, as I need new tires and this thing looks ridiculous with the stock height/tires.

Some pics.
Conrgrats @PokerMunkee, she looks nice.

As far as your transmission issues go, this might help you out - lots of good info in here;

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/jeep-commander-transmission-problems/

#6 ·
Well, I pulled the codes and now not sure a solenoid pack will fix it.

I get:

P0734: Gear 4 incorrect
P0735: Gear 5 incorrect

I've seen some think it could be a $50 speed sensor. I see others getting the transmission rebuilt. If I take it to a transmission shop, I'm sure they'll sell me on a $1500 rebuild. Blah.

I also got a P2096 (Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1). Not concerned about this one right now.

#8 ·
I'm finding some for under $600 at local junk yards. Sounds like I'll need about 11qts of fluid. I've removed the 5 speed trans out of my 98 Accord to swap out the clutch, how much harder could it be?? lol.

#10 · (Edited)
A popular local shop quoted me $2900 for a rebuild. Hmm. I still might get a junkyard one and pay a mobile mechanic to help me for a couple hundred.

I need to concentrate on a lift and tires first, winter is coming fast. The car is getting around just fine, for now.

What's the cheapest vendor to buy OME springs? I'm seeing most are going with OME HD all around and Bilstein 4600 shocks? Some say it's level, some say a slight rake and then put a spacer. Blah. I was hoping to just have springs and be done. I guess I could always install the spacer later if I don't like the front rake. Too many options!

#12 · (Edited)
OME HD springs are $153 on Amazon shipped (ARB). What shocks should I pair with them?? My thought process is to pull trigger on the front shocks and then wait to see how the rear looks. If I need to lift rear, get the Monroe F150 to jack it up. The rear are cake.

Which Bilsteins for the front did you go with BadJuju?

I found a mobile mechanic that will do it for under $200, so going that route versus take up a weekend.

Lastly, are the Spidertrax spacers 5x5 the same as Wranglers?

Will these work on the XK?: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/wto/d/rubicon-rims-wheels-tires/6687514634.html

If I can get those for under $400, I'm going to buy them and maybe get another year of life out of the tires.

#13 ·
Ordered OME HD springs, Bilstein 4600hd in front, Bilstein 5100 in rear, and a MOOG isolator set in rear from Kolak. Time to make this thing look like a real Jeep. Giggity!

Think I can do this with a spring compressor and electric impact gun? Or should I take to a shop and throw them $50 to assemble the front shocks/struts?

#14 ·
Yes, you can do it.

Get new top mounts so you can assemble the struts with all new parts and swap out the whole assembly in one swoop.

Your lower clevis bolts will likely give you problems. I was able to replace the struts with out removing the bolt and clevis. Take the calipers off so you can stretch the lca down without damaging the brake hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.