Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've finally decided on a new set of wheels and tires to go on the commander after a 2 inch lift.

I want to go with the Nitto Terra Grappler 275/65/18's on an 18 inch kmc rockstar rim.

Those tires specs are 32.1 inches in diameter and a little under 11 inches in width. What are your guys thoughts on this tire? I would be running them with 1.5 inch spidertraxx. Also, I need some help getting the right offset/backspacing for the wheel, can you guys help me out?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So I think I've finally decided on a new set of wheels and tires to go on the commander after a 2 inch lift.

I want to go with the Nitto Terra Grappler 275/65/18's on an 18 inch kmc rockstar rim.

Those tires specs are 32.1 inches in diameter and a little under 11 inches in width. What are your guys thoughts on this tire? I would be running them with 1.5 inch spidertraxx. Also, I need some help getting the right offset/backspacing for the wheel, can you guys help me out?
I can definately help you out. But first I have a question for you. Why would you want to run wheel spacers if you are buying new wheels. If you get the wheels in the proper back spacing/offset, spacers are not needed.

Give me a few minutes to do a little research and ill let you know if the rockstars come in a back spacing that will work out for you. Also just so you know, with that tire size, youll definately have to bend over the pinch weld and trim or re mold the plastic inner fender well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ok. The KMC Rockstars come in a 18x9 in the 5 on 5 bolt patten with +0mm offset (5 inches of back spacing). With that wheel/tire combo (275/65R18), you would stick out about a half inch further then guys running 265/70R17's with 1.5 inch wheel spacers.

Here is my XK with 265/70R17's and 1.25 inch wheel spacers. That setup with the KMC's would stick out 3/4 of an inch further then mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome man thanks alot for the help, and to answer your question, I just figured I would need the spacers so i'll definitely be happy saving the extra money if i don't need them. Would there be a problem clearing the ball joint bolt with no spacer? I have mine ground down already but when I put the lift on I'll have to buy new bolts and grind them down again if I need too. So what do you think about that setup then? Its hard work finding an aggresive looking tire that will fit and 18 inch rim and still fit on the commander.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Awesome man thanks alot for the help, and to answer your question, I just figured I would need the spacers so i'll definitely be happy saving the extra money if i don't need them. Would there be a problem clearing the ball joint bolt with no spacer? I have mine ground down already but when I put the lift on I'll have to buy new bolts and grind them down again if I need too. So what do you think about that setup then? Its hard work finding an aggresive looking tire that will fit and 18 inch rim and still fit on the commander.
You wont have any problem clearing the ball joint bolt with that setup. If you decide to replace the ball joints, you wouldnt even have to trim down the bolts againit as you will have plenty of room. Also, you really shouldnt have to replace the ball joint either. Just use an impact to get the nut off.

I think that setup would work out really well. Like I said earlier though. You will definately have to bend over the pinch weld and do a little trimming. Do you mind if the tire/wheel combo sits out that far? Some guys dont like the tires/wheels sitting out past the fenders. Honestly, I think it would look awsome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect just what I wanted to hear, I definitely don't mind if the tire sticks out a little. What if I used a 1 inch or 1.25 inch spacer, would it give it more clearance in the wheel well?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Perfect just what I wanted to hear, I definitely don't mind if the tire sticks out a little. What if I used a 1 inch or 1.25 inch spacer, would it give it more clearance in the wheel well?
No, it wouldn't give you more clearance in the wheel well. It would make everything sit way to far out though and you would have crazy rubbing everywhere when turning. Not only that but there would be a lot of added stress to the wheel bearing and other parts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Should try to find wheels with a +25mm offset.........

·
Registered
127 Posts
No spacers needed and won't push the wheels beyond the fender, which seems to be the cause of tire rubbing on the XK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man, that sucks they don't have the wheel I want in that offset. I actually like the look of the wheel sticking out so I don't know if it'd be worth it to find another wheel, what's your opinion 07JeepXK?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thanks man, that sucks they don't have the wheel I want in that offset. I actually like the look of the wheel sticking out so I don't know if it'd be worth it to find another wheel, what's your opinion 07JeepXK?
Really its all up to your personal preference. Some dont like the wheels to stick out past the fenders and some do.

Those pintler wheels were specifically designed for the 4 inch superlift. IMO, an XK with that much lift and wheels that dont stick out past the fenders looks like crap. Now throw on the pintlers designed for the JK and you have one bada$$ looking rig!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I am running 255/70/17s with a 0 offset rim and they are rubbing slightly. If you go 275/65/18s, you will definitely get a lot of rubbing due to the 0 offset.
If you are stuck on those rims, try going with a different size tire. Use the tire calculator link below so you can compare the size of the tires.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am running 255/70/17s with a 0 offset rim and they are rubbing slightly. If you go 275/65/18s, you will definitely get a lot of rubbing due to the 0 offset.
If you are stuck on those rims, try going with a different size tire. Use the tire calculator link below so you can compare the size of the tires.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Where abouts are you rubbing? Have you done any modification to the pinch weld area? I told him he would definately have to bend over the pinch weld and either trim or re mold the inner plastic fender well due to the tire size and offset of the wheel. It really isnt hard to do that and if you take your time you can actually make it look really good. You really cant even tell that I modified my fender wells.

He could always go for a different wheel like mentioned earlier and not have to worry about rubbing. Its hard to find the perfect offset wheel that still looks good.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Where abouts are you rubbing? Have you done any modification to the pinch weld area? I told him he would definately have to bend over the pinch weld and either trim or re mold the inner plastic fender well due to the tire size and offset of the wheel. It really isnt hard to do that and if you take your time you can actually make it look really good. You really cant even tell that I modified my fender wells.

He could always go for a different wheel like mentioned earlier and not have to worry about rubbing. Its hard to find the perfect offset wheel that still looks good.
It's barely rubbing at full turn on the side of the wheel wells on the plastic. Barely rubbing, not enough to do anything about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts