Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i finally found a company that makes an AUX fuel tank for the GC. it should fit ours. it mounts in the spare tire location. its made for the Diesel, but i think it would work for gas as well. i'll see what they say.

it holds almost 17 gallons more gas.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do you have any info on how you actually fill the tank up. Also is there going to be a new fuel pump/sending unit with a switch or something to where you can run off one tank and then when it gets empty you flip a switch and it will start to use the fuel from the other tank.

I think it is a lot more involved then just bolting in another tank. However if we can figure it out id love to have another tank for those long trips or even when out on the trail!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm waiting to find out the details. they have been in the business for a long time. so i'm sure everything needed will be included. as soon as i have some more details i'll let you know. i'm hoing to hear something really soon. i'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Good find, thanks for always looking to improve the XK.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Any concern with fire/explosions when mounting an aux. fuel tank in the rear? I thought that's why all the manufacturers got away from the rear mounted fuel tanks in the first place, no?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would think you would be okay with the rear fuel cell as long as you had a good rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It looks like it would be real easy to build a full skid plate to cover the spare tire area as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The ones you can get here in Oz made for the commander spare wheel area hold 110 litres, they put a fill point in with the current fill point and when needed you switch on the pump and it goes from the aux tank to the main tank.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The ones you can get here in Oz made for the commander spare wheel area hold 110 litres, they put a fill point in with the current fill point and when needed you switch on the pump and it goes from the aux tank to the main tank.
I like having one fuel point, keeps the clean lines of the Commander.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those are the ones i'm looking at. i think they even come with a skid plate. i contacted the company via email, but i have not heard anything yet.

hopefully soon. i know Aussie standards of safety are higher then the USA, so these should be well built. probably expensive thou. what isn't.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The shipping's going to be the worst part unless we can get a group buy or you can become a distributor.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i got a reply back from the company finally.

they want $1200+ AU. which comes to $847.00 US

not bad but its pretty expensive

heres the specs:

30 gallon capacity

that would give you 50+ gallons of fuel on board. you would basically extend your range by about 500 miles if you got 15-20 mpg.

Hello Ross,

We manufacture a 110 liter auxiliary tank to suit your vehicle. This tank fits under the rear of the vehicle and takes the place of the spare wheel. Fuel is transferred via an electric pump that will pump fuel from the auxiliary tank back into the OEM tank. A combination switch/gauge is located into a suitable position in the dash. A new twin filler is also supplied which replaces the OEM filler. RRP $1232.00 AU. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
50 Gallons would be awesome! But filling up would be a bitch!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Just filled up 19.417 gallons and it cost me $58.23 @ 2.99. Glad it is going down but 2 tanks would be a killer.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It would cost a lot to fill the tanks but just imagine how long you can go without having to fill up again.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
It would cost a lot to fill the tanks but just imagine how long you can go without having to fill up again.
There's the trade off: getting hit hard at the pump but much longer cruising range. Effectively you're buying two tanks every time if you drain them both. Same as your doing now, just a bigger psychological impact.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know phunkeydude is interested in one.

how many more would be interested?

i'll see if i can work out a better price. just think how far you could go in the mountians. thats the one thing i hate about the commander.

and lets face it a 5 gallon gas can isn't going to cut it. especially with a thirsty V8. and you don't have to stop every 200 miles to fill up. now you could go 400 easy.

these also fit the Grand Cherokees as well. so maybe we could get a few of those guys to buy one to cut down shipping costs.

·
2,248 Posts
I am interested in both the second tank and the new rear bumper to relocate the spare. I have had several vehicles with Aux tanks. It does give you much better crusing range and you can choose your fill up location to avoid getting expensive,(more expensive) gas in out of the way locations. It is especially nice when you go off road and do not have to worry about fuel.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts