Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got our Commander the other day. White, Limited, with hemi and just about everything except for the wheels and engine block heater. This forum has been awesome. I was able to tell the dealer things that they didn't even know about the Commander. We bought at an auto show so they had installed the mopar backup camera to show it off. It is great in parking lots but I do wish it was integrated into nav screen. Got a good deal and 0% financing was great. Getting appearance protection tomorrow. Don't know if it is worth $800?

Haven't had it off road much yet. Maybe today because my wife is out of town. I keep driving her nuts by driving over curbs and whatever else I can find in town.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats. If Appearance Protection is a paint finish treatment it is probably not worth it. Worth it to the dealer however. A Saturday morning wax job will do the same thing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
congrats on your buy.So did you have to give 10% down for the 0 financing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
samax8 said:
Congrats. If Appearance Protection is a paint finish treatment it is probably not worth it. Worth it to the dealer however. A Saturday morning wax job will do the same thing.
I agree, and I'm a dealer... Although, if someone wants to pay me $800.00 to wax their JC, I'm in! I will even come to you!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Doesn't matter... Did someone say roadtrip???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer made the appearance protection sound great (of course). They said they put it in a dust free room and coat it with something that has to cure for half a day. They also treat the leather. They say it is guaranteed to not fade for 10 years. My wife took the bait and is insisting on it since we don't plan on selling it or trading it in any time soon. The cool thing is they will fix any blemish scratch or dent for 10 years.

I had a big down payment ready but it was not required for 0%. Free money! It is just sitting in my bank earning interest. No reason to put a down payment or payoff early except to just be done. Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
These days, vehicles come from the manufacturer with a good clear coating over the paint. Their are products at your local car care place, clear coat polish, that when applied a couple of times a year will keep your cars appearance looking just fine for the life of the vehicle. This will end up costing a whole bunch less than $800.00.

Also, I am sure that there are restrictions on the size and location of the dent(s) taht they are telling you they will fix free of charge. Most people, over the course of 3-4 years will only accumulate a couple of door dings at most (barring a good hail storm or wreck). Paintless dent repair (PDR) is not expensive at all.

$800.00 is better spent on a good camera to take pictures of your shiny new JC...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Funny, but I cannot believe some people still consider this kind of "snake oil". For $800.00 you can buy yourself warranty to 100K. Hello! It is 2006, not 1986.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news, I found out that the dealer had already done the appearance protection to the JC to get it ready for the auto show where we bought it. I only had to pay for the undercoating. I really don't know much about the undercoating but it seems good? I saved a lot of money and was very happy that the dealer was honest about it. Wife is also happy!

·
Registered
200 Posts
According to Consumer Reports (2 different articles):

7. Be wary of costly add-ons. Service contracts, glass etching, undercoating, and paint sealants are all unnecessary add-ons to help the dealership maximize its profits. Don't buy them.

Dealerships then "back into" the amount by charging an exorbitant vehicle price and adding extended warranties, undercoating, maintenance packages, and other items. In extreme cases, customers aren't told their sales contracts have been "padded" with these extras, or the dealer says the items will be provided at no charge in exchange for an immediate sale.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Undercoating is another variety of snake oil. It is only good for dealer's pocket. Did we talk about it already?:eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good 1 samax8!! I sold my car years ago!! We got the undercoating on ours. It's a little protection from the calcium chloride on the roads during the winter months.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We got the '4-way' coating protection.
Includes paint coating, underbody coating, carpets and seats.
Made the seats slippery for a while. The undercoatig suppossed to help deaden noises and some rust-proofing. The paint coat is suppossed to make it look freshly waxed even a year or two later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.