Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Commander 5 years now and finally got around to putting a 2" lift on it. Decided to change the struts and shocks while I was at it.

When I first got it...

With 245/65/17 Dynapro ATMs and American Racing Fuel wheels...

After the lift, struts, shocks, and new 255/70/17 Cooper AT3s and Level 8 Punch wheels from Discount Tire...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looks great! What shocks and struts did you go with?

·
Registered
139 Posts
B-)

Man, 5 years?! I couldn't wait 5 months, even though i told myself i would wait when i bought it.lol

Looks real good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. As the Commander is my DD I wanted to wait until I was in a better spot financially in case it all went wrong - but thankfully it didn't. The ATMs and American Racing wheels carried me the last few years as I couldn't leave it completely alone.

LuvMyCommander - the fronts are Monroe Reflex. I got such a good deal at Rock Auto that I couldn't pass them up. The rear are Bilstein 5100 series for 0"-1.5" lifted Grand Cherokees. Part # is 33-225807.

Later this week the Rola roof basket goes on!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good. What lift did you go with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good. What lift did you go with?
Thank you. It is the Rough Country 2" spacer lift.

You did an amazing job and now your Commander looks really great. Thanks a lot for sharing the pictures!
Thank you. I bought my Lloyd Rubbertite mats and cargo liner from your company and am about to order a set for my wife's vehicle - thanks for being a supporting vendor!

·
Vendor
189 Posts
@ oxyeleotris

Oh, it also would be amazing if you could share some pics of them installed. I am sure they will be useful for many Jeep Commander owners!

@ oxyeleotris @ luckyse7ens

Great we will be more than glad to provide you guys with some floor mats! Just let me know what mats exactly are you interested in.

·
Registered
954 Posts
LuvMyCommander - the fronts are Monroe Reflex. I got such a good deal at Rock Auto that I couldn't pass them up. The rear are Bilstein 5100 series for 0"-1.5" lifted Grand Cherokees. Part # is 33-225807.

Later this week the Rola roof basket goes on!
Thanks for the part number. I've never heard of these. I've used Bilstein struts on my previous Commander and really liked them and will get them again for this one but will definitely consider them for the rear too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks for the part number. I've never heard of these. I've used Bilstein struts on my previous Commander and really liked them and will get them again for this one but will definitely consider them for the rear too. Thanks again.
I run bilstein 5100's. Same internals as the 4600hd's.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I run bilstein 5100's. Same internals as the 4600hd's.
I had the 4600 HDs up front on my old Commander and really liked them. Are these 5100 just as good in the back? How do you like them so far oxyeleotris?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I had the 4600 HDs up front on my old Commander and really liked them. Are these 5100 just as good in the back? How do you like them so far oxyeleotris?
They are just as good. In the rear they are Identical other than the fact that they are slightly longer to allow for a lift, and chrome plated body.

In the front with your style of lift you should run the 4600hd's unless you would like to lift the front an additional .75" on top of your current lift. The front "struts" have an adjustable spring perch which raises the vehicle a minimum of .75", also 1.5", and 2" adjustments are possible with it.

I have my 5100's set @ 1.5" in the front currently. It is the only means by which the front of my XK is lifted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It turned out really nice. Have you noticed a big hit on gas mileage since adding the lift and larger tires?

I'm really wanting to do a lift as well along with larger tires... but after adding my Matrix front bumper guard and Load Warrior roof rack, I've already lost about 1.25mpg already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the late responses. I've only run about a tank and a half of fuel, and while I haven't done the calculations just yet so far the hit seems extremely minor - at most 1 mpg and that is after the addition of the Rola roof basket too.

My first thoughts - over the road the vehicle has much more control at speed over the bigger bumps and dips. But it seems to have come at the expense of response over the small stuff - the Reflex front struts might be a little too heavily damped. I'm wondering if the Bilstein 4600s or 5100s would have been a better choice up front.

I have the 3.7L. I went with the 255/70/17 to minimize the loss of low end. I think this was the right call. I feel a loss in torque off-idle, but once I'm rolling the Commander is just as responsive (if you could ever call it that!) as it was pre-lift and with the stock tires.

AutoDreamer, the American Racing Fuels were just fine and I still like them. I'm going to use them along with the Dynapro ATMs for my winter tires and wheels as I found the Dynapros to be excellent for our New England winters. It's just that I figured if I was going to make changes to the Jeep with regards to a lift and larger tires, I might as well change the wheels while I was at it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It really does not look any different to me. How high of a lift can you put on without having to change out parts underneath? I have a JKU and could only put a 2.5 suspension lift without having to change any other parts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts