Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I jsut bought a 2007 Commander Limited w/ cream leather interior, 4x4, and the 4.7l V8. Pretty nice vehicle, snagged it on the cheap. Though I have a couple of issues with it I'm still trying to work out... Let's see how she does! This is coming off of a Land Rover Discovery so I'm expecting it to be more reliable, though who knows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vibration on acceleration, will not drive upon front driveshaft removal

I cannot post into the maintenance forum, not really sure why :(

Hello! I have had a pretty loud vibration at variable speeds with this vehicle, starting at 25-30ish and only disappearing when I let off the gas After 80mph it's mostly gone.

I finally got the chance to take a look in the driveshaft and saw that the CV boot is ripped and there is no oil in it. Seems like the source of the problem! The problem described is IDENTICAL to the issue if you search for a forum thread named "Vibration and Noise while accelerating + Front Propeller shaft leaking", pictures included. I just hope that the solution to replace the driveshaft is the same as well.

I removed the front driveshaft fully, and upon starting the car I found that it would not move unless it's in 4low. I believe that this truck has Quadra-Trac II, as it does not come with limited slip differentials. When I press the pedal in gear, I can hear a spinning from underneath the car but it will not move in drive or reverse. Is this because this car is FWD until it detects slipping, then gives power to the rear driveshaft? I would like to think it's not an issue with the transfer case, but I was under the impression that like most 4x4s you can drive it without the front driveshaft. Evidently not the case with this one.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
I removed the front driveshaft fully, and upon starting the car I found that it would not move unless it's in 4low. I believe that this truck has Quadra-Trac II, as it does not come with limited slip differentials. When I press the pedal in gear, I can hear a spinning from underneath the car but it will not move in drive or reverse. Is this because this car is FWD until it detects slipping, then gives power to the rear driveshaft? I would like to think it's not an issue with the transfer case, but I was under the impression that like most 4x4s you can drive it without the front driveshaft. Evidently not the case with this one.
Your Commander is Full Time 4WD, so it s not going anywhere without the front drive shaft. I don't know how it could move in 4Lo.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Welcome

Nice to have you in the forum, just remember that if it was new in 2007 then it is already 10 years old and is at whatever level of maintanence/reliability .But with some care and time I'm sure it will be fine

Swanny

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to have you in the forum, just remember that if it was new in 2007 then it is already 10 years old and is at whatever level of maintanence/reliability .But with some care and time I'm sure it will be fine

Swanny
Absolutely. The truck was a trade in, it looks like all recalls were taken care of and it's been serviced pretty frequently. All I need to do is sort out some sort of driveline vibration I'm getting along with reupholstering the driver's seat due to a small rip. Otherwise looks like we're good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your Commander is Full Time 4WD, so it s not going anywhere without the front drive shaft. I don't know how it could move in 4Lo.
I see. Well that's relieving, I thought I was having issues with the transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Hello all, I jsut bought a 2007 Commander Limited w/ cream leather interior, 4x4, and the 4.7l V8. Pretty nice vehicle, snagged it on the cheap. Though I have a couple of issues with it I'm still trying to work out... Let's see how she does! This is coming off of a Land Rover Discovery so I'm expecting it to be more reliable, though who knows.
Erick;

Welcome to the forum; Please click on the link below, read it entirely and reply with the applicable information.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-new-member-introduction-post-please-read-before-posting.html

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Erick;

You can't post anywhere but the new member section until you reach 5 posts.

Once you reach 5 posts, your permissions will automatically be updated and the rest of the forum will become available to you.

I also merged your threads together so everything is in one place until you can start posting in the other forums as necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In 4 low the transfer case locks a center differential in 4 high it is open so it can be used like a awd system on dry pavement its the same transfer case as in the quadra drive 2. By removing the driveshaft in the front or rear the vehicle should remain stationary unless you engage 4 low

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just because I can't post anywhere else for some reason, I have another question: How do I change my username? I signed in through Facebook though I'd prefer it didn't put my real name, lol

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Just because I can't post anywhere else for some reason, I have another question: How do I change my username? I signed in through Facebook though I'd prefer it didn't put my real name, lol
@Erick Ely ;

Reading is fundamental - as in reading the replies to the questions that you've been asking.

If you are going to keep popping off with random questions - at least take the time to read the replies you receive.

I already explained to you in detail why you can't post anywhere else yet and now that you have 9 posts, the entire forum should be open to you.

You have to PM an administrator to change your user name.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...-website-help/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts