Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Got my Commander last week and took it out for some testing today at lunch time (Photo from 12:15 ZULU today.)

I have a question concerning the handling and usage of the Quadratrac 2.

Going up the hill at one point I had a large amount of understeer ending up managing to stop before getting to the side of the road. Certainly woke me up as there is a 100 meter odd drop on the other side. I was driving with Traction control on.

When I reached a heavily snowed over road going up a steep grade, I had to put her into LOW 4wd, with great results. With Traction off the wheel spin was too severe to be accurate on such a narrow uphill grade road.

I figure the original tyres (The Commander dates from 2006) are hardened up, after 14'900 Miles and two years, and I will need to change them.

But how does one use the traction on/off, correctly on slippery surfaces. (Suffice to say anything deep, I used the 4wd low, which is great and impressive.) I have read the manual but it remains nebulous in the real world. (I learnt on a Land Rover Light weight so electronic assistance was not an option).

Any advice welcome.

PS

For those interested I bought second hand, 14'900 miles on the clock fully equipped for 44% under new list!

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
Leman said:
But how does one use the traction on/off, correctly on slippery surfaces.
You should leave the traction control on. That is what it is for--slippery surfaces. You may need to turn it off when doing some off-roading.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
congrats on the purchase. great pic in the snow.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello All,

Got my Commander last week and took it out for some testing today at lunch time (Photo from 12:15 ZULU today.)

Going up the hill at one point I had a large amount of understeer ending up managing to stop before getting to the side of the road. Certainly woke me up as there is a 100 meter odd drop on the other side. I was driving with Traction control on.

When I reached a heavily snowed over road going up a steep grade, I had to put her into LOW 4wd, with great results. With Traction off the wheel spin was too severe to be accurate on such a narrow uphill grade road.

I figure the original tyres (The Commander dates from 2006) are hardened up, after 14'900 Miles and two years, and I will need to change them.

But how does one use the traction on/off, correctly on slippery surfaces. (Suffice to say anything deep, I used the 4wd low, which is great and impressive.) I have read the manual but it remains nebulous in the real world. (I learnt on a Land Rover Light weight so electronic assistance was not an option).

Any advice welcome.

PS

For those interested I bought second hand, 14'900 miles on the clock fully equipped for 44% under new list!

Congratulations on your new purchase! Nice Pics. I am sure you will love your XK as most of us or all of us does.:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello All,

Any advice welcome.

PS

You said: "Going up the hill at one point I had a large amount of understeer ending up managing to stop before getting to the side of the road."

Question: Were your wheels turned or pointed straight?

--Spike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts