Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally convinced the wife that HER jeep was ready to tackle some dirt. With the 2" rusty's lift, the rocksliders, and the JK tires and wheels, I felt pretty confident. But she's only been in the dirt once before.

So we went to a local Off-road area that has a "training ground" - an area set aside for classes and other "test" spots. I drove her through a couple obstacles, she then took over and only gave up the wheel at the last one.

Here she is cruising around the flats

Lining up for her first solo hill

Almost up, nice and slow

Now, on to the "Frame Twister" - not really that scary, but we ran it 3 times, teaching her how to follow signals and when to stop on command.

Here she is, first time in her life with a wheel balanced in the air. Don't know if you can see the grin through the bugs...

continues...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The last one we tried was the "sluice box" - a long, large-rock course. She decided to run the camera and let me drive. With the 2" lift, I touched the undercarriage once (hard, the muffler now has a dent).

The rock sliders also earned their keep, one big scratch on them saving any scratches on the Jeep.

I have utter confidence now in this vehicle taking it anywhere within reason. It is a real Jeep!

And I dare not forget the back-seat driver, Mr. "I love bumpy roads" himself:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Very nice ride, and pics, can’t wait till I can take mine off road… No to many places around here… :mad: :( :mad: :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome pics!!!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Love the pics, wish we had a place like that around here! What kind of wheels and tires do you have there? Spacers? They're looking good.

Also, I need to get some sliders before I break my plastic guards!

Where are you at for these?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like you had some fun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sespe Commander, awesome pics, rig looks great. Nice to see folks getting the family involved. my two year old loves the local trail, she can't stop giggling. My wife still won't drive to hard, even though it is her commander. :p

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) Yup, Wife wanted the DRL's activated. Dealer did it for free at oil change

2) Sliders are Rocky Road SuperSliders http://rocky-road.com/commanderrockrail.html They took a good scrape yesterday.

3) The roof cage is from Mopar. I got it used with the heavy duty rails through Ebay.

4) Wheels and tires are off a JK rubicon. Running them with 1.5" spidertrax spacers. Still getting some rubbing at full flex.

5) I was at Hungry Valley, a large OHV area north of Los Angeles. It's 40 miles from home.

Wow, I guess I've done enough to the rig now to write up a signature!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics sespe....i'm still trying to talk my wife into letting us take the commander offroading, but she's scared to since it's just a factory stocked one off the lot.... 3.6L 4x4, but i keep trying to tell her, "it a jeep thought and it's ready to hit the trail right off the show room floor" hasn't worked yet.......not that there's a lot of trails to hit in VEGAS.......

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good pics, looks like fun. We dont have rocks like that here, just sand and mud..

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Nice looking Commander

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Command This. said:
Good pics, looks like fun. We dont have rocks like that here, just sand and mud..
But we don't get the mud...

·
Registered
69 Posts
testa23 said:
great pics sespe....i'm still trying to talk my wife into letting us take the commander offroading, but she's scared to since it's just a factory stocked one off the lot.... 3.6L 4x4, but i keep trying to tell her, "it a jeep thought and it's ready to hit the trail right off the show room floor" hasn't worked yet.......not that there's a lot of trails to hit in VEGAS.......
Don't worry, my wife's the same way.. That's why I go when she's at work! She just thinks it's stupid that I take pictures and go off on random trails, etc... but after 15 years, I've learned to pick my battles! I just need to make sure I don't do any damage to the jeep, or you guys won't be hearing from me for a loooong time!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
My wife loves to go along, she even points out the trails and asks: "what if we go that way?"

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Mine loves to go along too! She takes the pics and vids. Also, although she doesn't come out and say "lets go that way" she does say "you can't go up that" which is just as good as "lets go that way."

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife is usually more willing, and this is her car. But she is 8 months pregnant, so she was a bit uncomfortable with the bouncing around. Once she got behind the wheel, however, she was fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts