Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having our Commander for 8 years I ordered a OME MD lift. Need new tires and want to replace the shocks so I figured it was now or never. Pretty excited and a little anxious about installing it. But this forum has a wealth of info. Should be here in a week or so and I will post some pics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well parts are starting to show up. Springs and shocks are here. Hypertech 52001 (used) is on it's way. I was going to go with 245/75r17 but decided to go with 265/70r17 so just ordered some Spidertrax spacers. I've been research the install procedure as well as the pinch weld mod. Hoping to get to it this week while it is still warm up here.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Well parts are starting to show up. Springs and shocks are here. Hypertech 52001 (used) is on it's way. I was going to go with 245/75r17 but decided to go with 265/70r17 so just ordered some Spidertrax spacers. I've been research the install procedure as well as the pinch weld mod. Hoping to get to it this week while it is still warm up here.
Post some pics when you finish the install, looking forward to seeing some before and after pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where did you order your Spidertrax spacers from?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Nice! I saved quite a bit getting the 52001 also! Works fine btw.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice! I saved quite a bit getting the 52001 also! Works fine btw.
Actually I think it was some of your posts that got me looking for one. It was alot cheaper and so far has worked great. So thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the Hypertech 52001?

I thought Hypertech just made chips & tuners?
It is their Power Programmer old model, new model is the 52501. But after updating the old one (free from their website) it works fine. I bought it mainly to reprogram my tire size but the the other options are nice.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
It is their Power Programmer old model, new model is the 52501. But after updating the old one (free from their website) it works fine. I bought it mainly to reprogram my tire size but the the other options are nice.

Finally the tires look proportional to the vehicle
That's what I thought.

Your tires look great, well done.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What tires did you end up going with? Did you have to do the mod?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What tires did you end up going with? Did you have to do the mod?
I went with Toyo 265/70. I haven't done the pinch weld mod. Planned on doing it when I installed the lift but I decided to see how the tires fit first (i.e. got lazy). They do rub a little during some tight turns but it hasn't been that big of a deal so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
I went with Toyo 265/70. I haven't done the pinch weld mod. Planned on doing it when I installed the lift but I decided to see how the tires fit first (i.e. got lazy). They do rub a little during some tight turns but it hasn't been that big of a deal so far.
I have the same tires 265/70R17 Toyo A/T's with the 2 inch RC lift and I have no rubbing at all.

Maybe the difference is in our rims back-spacing?

Mine are 17x8 with 5.5 inch back spacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the same tires 265/70R17 Toyo A/T's with the 2 inch RC lift and I have no rubbing at all.

Maybe the difference is in our rims back-spacing?

Mine are 17x8 with 5.5 inch back spacing.
It probably is the difference in back spacing. I have 1.5" spacers with my stock rims. It took me a little while to get used to the look with the spacers. I think about an inch would have been perfect and might not rub at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
It probably is the difference in back spacing. I have 1.5" spacers with my stock rims. It took me a little while to get used to the look with the spacers. I think about an inch would have been perfect and might not rub at all.
I gotcha, that makes sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts