Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a few weeks of planning and a bit of work. Thank you Matt for the help!

I have a modified OME lift and these tires fit with no rub. Below is why...

Removed third row HVAC

Trimmed front fenders 1"

Removed front wheel walls

Cut out pinch weld. Heated and hammered any existing pinch weld into the body
Put OEM wheel wall back in and trimmed it accordingly.

Heated wheel wall up to mold it as far back as possible. Bolted it to pinch weld/body

Installed 17x9 Pro Comp 51 Series Wheels (4.25) backspace

Installed 315/70/17 Wrangler DuraTracs

Still need to install extended bump stops and do a few touch up mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Looks awesome! I wish I could go up that high, but the wife and kids can barely get in mine with 32's lol.

Lets see some flexin shots!

How exactly did you modifY the OME lift? There are a few variations.

Planning on regearing?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No good flex shots yet lol but here are some as soon I drove away from getting them installed.

Lift is OME HD struts and springs up front with a JBA spacer. Rear is OME HD springs and RC spacer.

I probably won't re-gear since I have the 5.7 these gears are good enough for these tires in my opinion.

Now with the 5.7, Rear locker, and 35's I am excited for the trails!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice! Thanks for this. I know you didn't mean to, but you just convinced me to go big or go home with mine. Steel bumper will be built in February and I'll make a plan to actually lift mine outside of the plates on it now. Looks great!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice! Thanks for this. I know you didn't mean to, but you just convinced me to go big or go home with mine. Steel bumper will be built in February and I'll make a plan to actually lift mine outside of the plates on it now. Looks great!
Go big or go home!! Totally! That is how it must be done! No other way. Just about every jeep or muscle car I have modded / restored ends up in the go big or go home catagory. I'm still married btw. Wife knew what she was getting into. I just have to do the builds slower then ten years ago pre mortgage payments / kids.. :) Congrats Core!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I agree! Go big or go home. Driving around with these 35's is awesome. XK looks even better in person as pictures do not do the actual size of these tires any justice lol I am getting mad looks from Wrangler guys around me (There is a lot of them).

My old tire size was 275/70/17 GoodYear Wrangler MTRs @Commando75

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks awesome!

35s take some work, but the Commander really looks nice with them!

Dave

Reactions: Core

·
Registered
309 Posts
Question:

When you used the OME struts and springs with the lift kit did you install the preload plates that came with the kit? I am not home yet, but one of the first things I have to fix are the front struts. My new kit will not be done util at least March and I need to figure out why my springs are so close to the knuckle arms.
The new kit will not have this issue because the overall diameter of the strut/spring is smaller, negating the problem of the knuckle coming too close.

Can you shoot a picture of the knuckle and strut?

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts