Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might remember the complain of some XH (export model) owners about the middle headrest in the second row which is not removable.. finally today I took it off :)

To start with I took off the back cover of the middle seat looking to unscrew the headrest some how. the cover is attached by around 10 plastic clips and I managed to break some of them :(

Surprisingly I found the buttons which release the headrest inside !!! they look like the buttons for the front headrest.

this is the right one and easy to spot ..

closer pic for the right button ..

cont...

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The left button is totally hidden under the sponge and need some effort to reach it.

then I used screwdriver to push the two buttons and release the headrest ..

the right one..

and the left one...

and finally its out ....

Now I need to come up with a solution to cover those two holes ..... and to get new clips to put the cover back.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those who will try to remove that headrest,,, now after we know that the releasing buttons exist and hidden inside, I suggest to try to push the buttons without removing the cover ,,,, these pics show how you might do it.

the left one..

the right one..

This might be difficult while the headrest is in place, but avoiding removing the back cover deserve the try. you may need someone to give a hand and push the sponge down.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:42: for international guys :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh, ok,
I guess i'm a bit of a dunce on this one but,
What'cha fixin by removing the headrest?
Is it in the way of the rearview in some way?

I'm soooooo confused,
.....Rob
I'm not sure if you mean me or GetLost4x4, for my case I have an additional headrest in the middle of the second row and that was badly blocking the rear view.

here is a pic of it.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ahmed,
The question was more towards you, but I was open to any answer.
Some of my posts should make it clear I don't offroad, at least not on purpose.
Therefore, looking backwards while driving is somewhat foreign to me.
So, the answer that GetLost4x4 and you provided, as well as your photo of the headrest, now explain to me what you're trying to accomplish and why.
So, thanks to both of you!
..........Rob

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahmed,
The question was more towards you, but I was open to any answer.
Some of my posts should make it clear I don't offroad, at least not on purpose.
Therefore, looking backwards while driving is somewhat foreign to me.
So, the answer that GetLost4x4 and you provided, as well as your photo of the headrest, now explain to me what you're trying to accomplish and why.
So, thanks to both of you!
..........Rob
in my case it was not only for offroading visibility, it was also for on road, I couldn't see any car coming behind me until its only few meters away and starts to alert me by horn or lights! that small headrest is big enough in the rear view mirror to block the whole lane behind me for long distance !

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ahmed,
I can sure see where that would become an annoyance.
I guess it's there because some countries require a headrest for all positions?
Seems like safety over common sense on that note.
That means that Politicians are doomashes regardless of nation!
Thought it was just us.
Remember: Politics.....Greek- Poli [many] tics [bloodsuckers]
YEP, thats it,,,,,,Many Bloodsuckers!

...........Rob

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that it is a safety issue behind that headrest, but they should have it easily removable like the front ones, without digging into the seat to look for a release button !!!, there is also another member here who tried and took off the seat cover as I did but couldn't manage to take the headrest off , he didn't find the button!

little design issues can be too annoying :(

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump for new XH export members

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help 2nd Row -Remove CENTER Headrest????

I'm trying to remove the CENTER headrest from a Commander 2006.. Seems the other threads on this subject cover how to remove the outer 2nd row seat headrests, but this doesn't seem to work for the Middle 2nd Row headrest..

Anyone know how to remove this??:ugh2:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm trying to remove the CENTER headrest from a Commander 2006.. Seems the other threads on this subject cover how to remove the outer 2nd row seat headrests, but this doesn't seem to work for the Middle 2nd Row headrest..

Is your Commander a International series?
U.S. Commanders dont have a headrest in the position you describe.
If it is indeed international, look up posts by Ahmed.
He removed his and supplied some rather good photos and proceedures.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

This will show you how: [link removed, question moved to linked thread]

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

Moved your question to this thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gooday,
Know exactly what you mean, a pain in the armpit, have nearly had a prang a couple of times not being able to see the bloke tucked in behind.
Overcame it by fitting an "Allview Clip on Mirror". Stumbled accross them on the internet, just Google AllviewMirrors, brought one over from California and it is brilliant. Only downside is you cannot pull the visors down with out upsetting the position, anyway I overcome that by wearing a Base Ball Cap when driving into the sun.
Was so impressed that I brought a shipment to Oz & sell them on our website with a few other bits we handle, hope that's allowable?.
. Not cheap but great bit of gear.
Cheers,
Ozcommander.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts