Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my idea... In others cars, I've been able to find a wire somewhere that powers the illumination of a button, switch, etc. Something that gets lit up when the headlights are turned on. By using this switched source of power, I want to add a few LEDs here and there... a few to light up the center console, a couple to light up the storage pockets, and maybe a couple dimly shining down into the interior of the car, just to give it a little glow. (called mood lighting by some manufacturers).

Does anyone know of a wire anywhere that powers illumination on switches, buttons, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Why not just pull a relay off the running lamps? Most everything is computer controlled, and i always strive to keep OEM and aftermarket circuits separate. You can go to best buy, etc. and get a printout of the wiring values (color, location, V, +/-) for the trigger. I've got one at home somewhere if you can't source one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know of an online source for all wiring diagrams in the car? Or is there a haynes manual or something that would cover it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is my idea... In others cars, I've been able to find a wire somewhere that powers the illumination of a button, switch, etc. Something that gets lit up when the headlights are turned on. By using this switched source of power, I want to add a few LEDs here and there... a few to light up the center console, a couple to light up the storage pockets, and maybe a couple dimly shining down into the interior of the car, just to give it a little glow. (called mood lighting by some manufacturers).

Does anyone know of a wire anywhere that powers illumination on switches, buttons, etc?

Thanks!

Use a relay and pull the turn-on power from the output of the headlight relay. It works quite well, in fact, that is how I hooked up my driving lights so they are on when the parking lights are on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts