Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the tire calculators that have been posted in the forum, but I'm wondering, has anyone run the 245/75/17 and the 265/70/17 MTs, and was there a difference? I'm 99% sold on the Firestones simply becasue my local shop will match TireRack's price - $189/tire and it is buy one get one free month, can't beat it right now, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
The Destination M/T tires also come in the 255/75R17 size. Just something else to consider. I personally run a 265/70R17 tire for the additional width.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm running 265/70R17 with a 2" lift. With stock rims w/o spacers you'll rub on the inside on a locked turn. I have a 5/16 spacers and I still rub slightly. If I were to buy tires now, I would buy 255/70R17.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I don't think you'll go wrong with either size since you have the Pintler wheels. I don't get any rubbing except at full lock with the 265s, so its all down to personal preference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think the Pintler only gives you a 1/4 spacing. If you do go for the 265, please let me know if they rub at all.

-Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Uber,

Do yours rub at all?

-Rob

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the 265/70/17 Terra Grapplers with the Pintlers and only had slight rubbing like Uber and only at full turn - I wasn't sure if the M/Ts larger lugs made a difference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a little confused. Uber/Bjamrow, are you rubbing on the inner wheel well, on the unibody? If so, that's what I'm rubbing on. The lugs grab the lower edge of the frame. It is a flat piece of steel and it kind of chops at the lug a little.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
265/70/17 because the 7x8.5" Wheels.
X2.....

I wouldn't personally run a 245mm tire on a 8.5 inch wide wheel. Especially if you take it off road. There is no tire to protect the wheels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
X2.....

I wouldn't personally run a 245mm tire on a 8.5 inch wide wheel. Especially if you take it off road. There is no tire to protect the wheels.
My nice shiny stock rims are nice and scarred with 265s.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My nice shiny stock rims are nice and scarred with 265s.
Im sure they are and 245's would make them look even worse. But your running 7.5 inch wide wheels, not 8.5's like the OP.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did mean 255/75/17 and not 245's, sorry about that - I was thinking the stock Rubi BFGs. And RobMart - as for the rubbing, mine is only on the plastic lining and not on the frame, I didn't need to bend down the pinch weld at all. Update - took the XK to the shop that put them on for me, and they're telling me that I still have 5/32nds left and don't need new tires, that the outer most section of that tire is cut thinner than the rest to prevent cupping and excessive wear - they even offered to prorate 3 tires for me and put on the spare but felt that I had 10,000 miles left and that they are wearing as they should be. I'm going to wait for now on tires, watch them closely here over the next couple of months and go back to them when I need new ones - thanks for the input, and as an aside, on the way to the shop - all of my gauges went dead while driving, got the good old U1141 code - going to take it tomorrow since I still have 6,000 miles left on my extended warranty - but I'll talk about that in the other threads, just thought it was funny given I was going to spend money on tires. Rex Tires in Colorado Springs has my business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts