Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
Just picked up my first jeep today, a 2007 Commander limited 4x4 QTII with 29k miles. Owned by a little old lady who took methodical care of it and drove 4k miles a year. Needless to say, the truck is immaculate. Got a great price through my dealership and she sleeps tonight in my garage.

Anywho- couple quick questions. Ive read about the n26 flash and subsequent loss of 4-low, and i have it. I have the service 4wd light when i hit it. I read somewhere about a process to remove the fuse and do some back and fourth jargon then slip her into 4low from neutral. Does this really work? Has Chrysler addressed this yet? Class action yet? Known solutions?

Also, im having a weird starting characteristic- it is very weak and wont start with the first turn of the key. The second time it is slow, but starts the beast. I suspect a weak battery, but i will get a test tomorrow.

I've also got an intermittent check engine light, that i will get read in the AM.

I am very mechanically inclined, and service all my neighbors and friends vehicles as well as having an extensive garage.

So far, i love the commander. Very roomy and strong, and with such low miles i am looking forward to many many more years of hopefully care free motoring.

-Rusty

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome! I didn't know there were any commanders left with mileage that low :)
Weak start most definitely sounds like a dying battery. not 100% on the service 4 wheel low though, this just popped up on my jeep not to long ago but haven't got around to checking it out yet. I think it's a common issue though and a solid search through the older forums will get you an answer.

Any Ideas on your first mod!?

·
Registered
167 Posts
For the 4 low, Chrysler did issue a second flash purported to fix the issues caused by the first flash fix.

Did you have the second flash performed or just the first? Definitely worth a shot since you already have the problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it was a very dying battery, no more issue on that front. I also got 4 low back from doing the whole procedure of removing the number 25 FDCM fuse and the front to back spin around 3 times deal, and it worked. If need be, ill have my service guys reflash.

Any Ideas on your first mod!?
I'd really like to level her out, or even lift her a tad. But more research is to be had on that front before i do anything. God forbid i sacrifice ANY of this glorious ride quality. Other than that, i would love some Hella's on my front mopar bar.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The ride quality is practically the same if you are on a low budget go with Rough country lift for 150 you cant beat that and probably another 150 for the install if someone else does it for you if not get the OME lift which includes springs and struts and shocks right now at 4xguard website they have a 100dllr discount with code OMEblackFriday2014 I get there emails but since I already have the RC lift and don't have the budget for the OME I figured might as well pass the savings. the discount is only good until the 6th of this month.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The ride quality is practically the same if you are on a low budget go with Rough country lift for 150 you cant beat that and probably another 150 for the install if someone else does it for you if not get the OME lift which includes springs and struts and shocks right now at 4xguard website they have a 100dllr discount with code OMEblackFriday2014 I get there emails but since I already have the RC lift and don't have the budget for the OME I figured might as well pass the savings. the discount is only good until the 6th of this month.
689 plus shipping ($71 to CA) is pretty good for OME shocks and springs.

If he wants the ride quality to be unchanged I would steer them in the direction of an RC or RRO lift however.

Alternatively, Rusty there is a levelling strut spacer kit that would not effect ride quality if that is all you are after:

http://4xguard.com/wk-xk-strut-spacer-plate-set.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the responses, and love how active this forum is. Reminds me of the bimmerforums days. In an effort to not start a whole new thread, i wonder if you guys could answer this for me;

What about a 4 inch lift with regards to ride quality? What would i sacrifice with a 4 inch lift? Wear and tear? options? is there a collated thread with all 4 inch lift options?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't have a 4 inch lift but I've read that the geometry of the vehicle stays prety much the same so you would even have less issues than if you were to install a 2 inch lift, I am going based on past threads that I have read.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Superlift seems to be the primary 4" lift available. There were a couple others that are no longer in production. Feedback from those using it have been favorable in terms of ride quality.

"Jeepin by Al" does also offer some Superlift upgraded versions designed for even larger tire fitment, but I don't know an XK on here running it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts