Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I don't know if this is my first post or not. I have been actively reading on this site for about a year waiting to be able to finally purchase a Commander. My wife and I are Jeep fans. It started with my first Wrangler back in 93. Now we own a 2016 Patriot High Altitude model. To small for me but great for my wife. In a few days I will be finalizing a deal on an 06 Base model with 83,000 miles, 4.7 and QT1 (pretty sure it is the QT1). I know its not the QD2 due to the fact that the emblem isn't on the console and because it it a base model. It has already had a 2" lift done and I believe it was done right due to the fact that they are running 265/70/17 and Billstien shocks. My only concern is the UCA. Looks stock. Is there anyway to tell? I was hoping to see a nice red JBA under there but oh well.
Anyway, great to be here. A wealth of information as it has helped me learn more about these rigs. I am a past IH Travelall fan owning a 75 and 67. I love boxy wagon looking vehicles that guzzle gas. :)

Will post pictures soon. Need to figure out how to resize them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like QT 2, since you have the trail rated emblem on driver's fender. Is it the 4.7 V8 and 4 low handle? Great looking Commander!

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Hello everyone. I don't know if this is my first post or not. I have been actively reading on this site for about a year waiting to be able to finally purchase a Commander. My wife and I are Jeep fans. It started with my first Wrangler back in 93. Now we own a 2016 Patriot High Altitude model. To small for me but great for my wife. In a few days I will be finalizing a deal on an 06 Base model with 83,000 miles, 4.7 and QT1 (pretty sure it is the QT1). I know its not the QD2 due to the fact that the emblem isn't on the console and because it it a base model. It has already had a 2" lift done and I believe it was done right due to the fact that they are running 265/70/17 and Billstien shocks. My only concern is the UCA. Looks stock. Is there anyway to tell? I was hoping to see a nice red JBA under there but oh well.
Anyway, great to be here. A wealth of information as it has helped me learn more about these rigs. I am a past IH Travelall fan owning a 75 and 67. I love boxy wagon looking vehicles that guzzle gas. :)

Will post pictures soon. Need to figure out how to resize them.
This is what a stock UCA on Commander with the 4.7L Engine looks like;

This is pic of my stock UCA before I upgraded to JBA UCA's.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Pokermunkee- yes. It has the 4 low handle. So that would make it the QT2?
If you don't see the Quadra-Drive II badge pictured here but you have the 4-Low T-Handle, you most likely have QT-II just like I do.

Another way to confirm this is to count the number of Bolts in your rear differential cover;

Quadra-Trac II will have 10 bolts; Quadra-Drive II will have 12 bolts.

If you have 10 bolts in your rear differential cover and you don't have the Quadra-Drive II badge below your gear shifter - but you have the Chrome T-Handle to shift into 4-LOW, you can safely say you have the Quadra-Trac II 4WD System.

If you had Quadra-Trac I, you wouldn't have the Chrome T-Handle to shift into 4-LOW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Big Blue, Thank you for the picture and info. When I take possesion I will check it out. I just cant imagine someone doing the lift as well as adding the right shocks and not doing the UCA's as well. Then again, there are "those" people. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
@Big Blue , Thank you for the picture and info. When I take possesion I will check it out. I just cant imagine someone doing the lift as well as adding the right shocks and not doing the UCA's as well. Then again, there are "those" people. :)
No problem @AZJeep ;

JBA UCA's are pretty expensive, so I could see someone putting that modification off, if they were on a budget.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your Commander whenever you have the time to post some.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big blue- after looking more close at the suspension. I don't think there is a spacer lift at all. It looks lifted but not quite 2 inches. I believe it's because of the Billstein shocks?

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Big blue- after looking more close at the suspension. I don't think there is a spacer lift at all. It looks lifted but not quite 2 inches. I believe it's because of the Billstein shocks?
Shocks by themselves will not raise your ride height.

Now if your springs have been changed out with Rusty's - or some other brand of spring designed to give additional lift along with some load-leveling shocks - that could be a possibility.

But this is all speculation on my part - it's tough to say without seeing some pics of what you have going on underneath your XK.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Whatcha think?
I don't see a lift. Those are not stock shocks, but it's hard to tell if those are bigger springs. A side shot of your Commander would help us tell you if it is lifted. Also give us the tire size.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Tires are 265/70/17 (one reason why I thought there was a lift.). Pinch weld mod has been done as well.
I have a 2" Rough Country lift on mine with 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S and mine looks like it has more space above the tires than yours. But it could be the angle of your pics. I have 22 inches from the center of my stock wheels to the bottom of the front fender.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Well there ya go! I have 20 inches. Looks like I'll be getting that lift next. Wife is already on board so, I'm good. :)
I edited my previous post. I had said I had 22 inches from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender. I meant to the BOTTOM of the fender. Measuring from the center of the wheel cap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts