Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are taking a trip this weekend to NC to visit my parents.Time to see if I can get my average mpgs off 12.8!(all local slow driving).My goal is to get at least 20.0 on the hwy.I was able to get my Liberty up to 23.2 on the same trip.Anyone want to place a bet? lol -43:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
got 22 with our 3.7 4x4

i will be making the same trip from western pa to charlotte the end of february. my son will be racing nationals at lowes motor speedway with his kart. they raced this past weekend at daytona int'l speedway but we didn't go. i'll be pulling my trailer with my '07 ram 1500 4x4 quad cab 4.7 getting 9.5 mpg

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
We just got back from a couple of trips with the Hemi (with a full load - 7 passengers and luggage for 5 girls!). We went from Augusta, GA to Harpers Ferry, WV to DC back to Augusta and then to Atlanta and Chatanooga and then back to Augusta. Average was 16-17. Hope you do better!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've gone to my brother's house in Destin, FL and to the old homestead in Carson, MS a few times each. I got 20 mpg on each trip - whether summer or winter. But driving around Atlanta I average about 15-16 mpg. I can't imagine worse traffic, but at 12.8 mpg in PA - it's got to be pretty bad there.

Have a good, safe trip.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
webjones said:
but at 12.8 mpg in PA - it's got to be pretty bad there.
Not so much the traffic here, but all the short distances my wife drives, less than 4 miles to work, stores and schools, car hardly gets to warm up! I only have 5k on it so I would think its still in its break in period. I understand it a heavy (safe) vehicle, but if my old 70 big block (383's were awesome)Road Runner could get 18 mpg average I can get 15 with my Commander. Will post my results next week!-43:D

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
ntrepid43 said:
so...you were pulling a trailer?.....lol-43:D
Nah, probably had the luggage inside and the mother-in-law strapped to the roof. Kills the mileage but at least the luggage was safe & dry!:p

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
PolarBZ said:
We just got back from a couple of trips with the Hemi (with a full load - 7 passengers and luggage for 5 girls!). We went from Augusta, GA to Harpers Ferry, WV to DC back to Augusta and then to Atlanta and Chatanooga and then back to Augusta. Average was 16-17. Hope you do better!
WOW! I was loaded on the way back from trip to PA with only 3 females.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
4.7commander said:
i got 21 going 70 mph. in my 4.7L
Hindsight is 20/20, my salesman told me all the engines get about the same mileage, might as well get a V8......my wallet didnt agree.. LOL, I'm not complaining, the 3.7 does just fine with what we do, and if i wanted fuel mileage, I would have bought a Patriot-43:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
WOW! I was loaded on the way back from trip to PA with only 3 females

you'd have to be loaded to handle that trip:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah, I'm gonna get to drive my folks new GEM car, should make for a good photo with my Commander!-43:D

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i was coming back from wyoming to montana. there was no wind (happens almost never). we were loaded down with christmas stuff, a dog and 2 kids.:D

4.7L, QT2, stock except new spark plugs and a trueflow foam air filter.

i would never own a jeep without 4x4. that wold just be gay in my opinion.;)

RedCommander said:
Really? Sheesh, I get maybe 17 going 70+. Do you have 4x4?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I get 16.9 driving 75mph over a 480mi trip. I recently got 22mpg going 55 due to bad roads on a 260 mi trip. I drive a 3.7L with a K&N intake.

...I think we have some exaggerators in here...

·
Registered
58 Posts
4.7commander said:
i was coming back from wyoming to montana. there was no wind (happens almost never). we were loaded down with christmas stuff, a dog and 2 kids.:D

4.7L, QT2, stock except new spark plugs and a trueflow foam air filter.

i would never own a jeep without 4x4. that wold just be gay in my opinion.;)

i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts