Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Commander Limited - 5.7L, Steel Blue
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have literally been looking for a new Head Unit since I bought the Commander. I wanted a big screen but didn't like/want a "floating" screen. I think 10" is too large because it won't fit in the space between the A/C vents. I looked at the Pioneer 8" but couldn't figure an Easy way to mount it. The ATOTO is about 2 lbs. total with brackets. as you can see, I'm going to mount it directly on the dash panel. I did a test fitting and It will slide right in the radio opening and will have room to connect cables before screwing in the dash panel.

I'm waiting for the Idatalink Maestro which should be here next week and I believe I can mount the Maestro on/between the brackets behind the radio by fitting a brace and/or some creative use of plastic and zip ties. I will also fabricate a custom frame (probably out of wood but I'll paint it black) around the radio so it wont slip up/down or side to side. The wood will also provide a place to put some screws for the mounting brackets. I will probably use generous amounts of JB weld and 3M double sided molding/trim adhesive.
One thing I don't want to do is modify the Jeep!

I have powered on and played with the ATOTO ( A6G209PF) radio and it appears to work fine. Its essentially a 9" android tablet with Autio/Video ins and outs. It also has wireless and wired CarPlay, wired android auto, 2 USB connections, front camera DVR, and I think I can connect the VES as an Aux. input plus some other interesting features...we'll see.

I'm going to replace both dash power outlets with USB 2.0 Panel Mounts

These are "Test Fitting" pictures so not everything is positioned or permanently mounted. so let me know what you think.

Sorry for the reflections but it fits pretty good..
Automotive design Car Audio equipment Vehicle audio Satellite radio

I had to smooth out the plastic welds on the rear of the panel,. And my wooden frame will go between the bracket and faceplate of the radio.
Electronic instrument Hood Automotive lighting Audio equipment Automotive exterior

More to come if you are interested.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,785 Posts
Nice write up, yes keep updating as you go.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
i did the usb plug swap, all fine on the passenger side, apparently the canbus does not like it on the driver side. hope your install goes more successful

·
Registered
'07 Commander Limited - 5.7L, Steel Blue
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got ya, I changed the sockets on both sides of my dash already. I wouldn't do what has been done on this dash though, what if you ever need to air up a tire and don't have a compressor that you can power away from a cigarette lighter? Ditto for the rear mod. Ideally you'll want both in the location.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
i kept one in the back as a cig lighter, and added one of the usb ports too. so should be good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts