Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home yesterday after 4 wheeling. i must have had a small nail in the tire. i was being lazy and didn't feel like changing tires for a small leak.

i was actually running down the freeway at 80mph pulled in for gas and noticed my rear tire was almost completely flat. i found the small leak (hole) in the tread. i figured it was small enough for a can or two of fix a flat.

that crap didn't fill up the tire so i went over to fill the tire with an air hose. as i was filling it i heard a distinctive sound of rubber bands breaking. i had the idea to run.

i ran around to the front of the jeep, and then the tire exploded.

Results. Sorry Crappy photos, blackberry

changed the tire and was on my way. atleast the tire was almost bald and i was planning on replacing them next month sometime.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i actually over heated the tire since it was almost flat when i pulled over and the tire was extremely flat.

it probably resulted in the structure of the tire breaking down and the bands separating from the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I saw that on Facebook yesterday, it looks pretty nasty. Is that related to the picture of the injured foot?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no

that was a picture of my wife's sprained ankle from last week. we though she had broken it at first. luckily she didn't. two days of ice and meds. she can walk almost normally again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
pictures arent showing...anyway to updat 'em...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I can see them just fine.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are posted from facebook. if facebook is blocked by your security software you won't be able to see them.

i just found 4 BFG 255/75/17 MT's on epay for under $500. now if i only had the cash lying around. i'll have to wait until later in August. Atleast i have a fullsize spare. i just can't go 4 wheeling until i get the new tires.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Did the air pressure sensor go off?

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are those? i took them out because i run my tires at 30 psi and they were always going off anyway. i don't have the system that told me the individual pressure of each tire or else i would have kept it.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
How do you deal with the light on the dash?

Glad it happened at a gas station instead of at 80, things would've been much worse.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
.....this is why I bought the new MT/R's with Kevlar.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have abused my tires for 2 years. i'm really not upset because i was going to replace them.

i don't think any tire will survive running at 10 psi and being over heated. it will blow no matter what.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
i just found 4 BFG 255/75/17 MT's on epay for under $500.
I bought the same tire (x's 4) on eBay from a place in Ohio for about the same cost- around $471 including shipping. Had them at my doorstep four days later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts