Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow Commander drivers. My 2006 Commander 4.7L base model had a bad rattle that was driving me and the wife crazy. It was coming from above and behind the drivers head. Rough roads here in our town would make it rattle endlessly.
Tried to pry down the headliner above the drivers side passenger door to add some foam, etc to quiet it, but could not get past the airbags. Body shop wanted $450 to drop headliner and get to rattle area! Tech manual showed the rattle to be in area where the inflater tube for the airbags mounts to the roof structure.
My simple fix was to take a four inch length of black foam pipe insulation for one inch pipes and wedge it between the roof rack cross bar and the roof. Jam another slice inside the donut hole so that it is a solid tube of foam. That little bit of pressure stops the roof sheet metal from flexing like a drum head and shaking everything inside. Put it on the passenger side also to make it look even. Drives quiet again. Saved 450 bucks, and our sanity. I made two spares to carry inside for when these blow out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts