Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Don and I are going to head up to flag Pole in the winter. Were looking at January of February.
When exactly is that? :SM127:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
It's the same place we had east coast commander. But with the winter weather in the mountains the off road trails will give you a whole new set of challenges unique to the season.
He didn't ask "Where is that ?", he asked "When is that ?" He was joking with you because you said "January of February".

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Well ya, Neil. we expect you and Blake, to be there. Along with some others.....

The snow on Flagpole wont be the hard part. It;s the highways
in the mountains that you have to watch..

Cold is just a bonus. I am looking forward to cold weather so I can cool
off.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
LOL Jon! I expect you will be bringing some to compare!!
Tuesday I am going to a distillery.......One of two microdistilleries in Ohio.
I might but then my warm bed is only 2 hours away!

And Don, I'm from Franklin County VA (Moonshine Capitol of the World) That Ohio brew better be good to compete with our home brew. LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cico7,

You have been to flag pole a lot. My memory coming up from the 257 Grocery was a sign stating that the national park was closed to off-road users from 12/1 until 4/1. Did I remember that sign wrong? Just thought I would ask that before we all show up.

Sal,

Let me know when we are planning to go. I am tentative now and really would like to make it. I just need to see what is going on with the family before I commit. It definitely would be fun! Also for planning purposes mid and late Feburary would be bad timing for me (wifes b'day and that women made up holiday :icon_wink:)

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Cico7,

You have been to flag pole a lot. My memory coming up from the 257 Grocery was a sign stating that the national park was closed to off-road users from 12/1 until 4/1. Did I remember that sign wrong? Just thought I would ask that before we all show up.
I don't know, there is another part of the park that we did not go to. I know some other people have been there in the winter. I will have to look into it more.

Good catch!
12:08am 9/5/10
I went looking and found nothing about the park being closed. There is a State Forest camp ground there that might be closed.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As far as the area being closed during the winter months, I seriously doubt it. First of all, it's a national forest, not a park. Big difference. the forest does however close some roads with heavy snow but they are usually highly traveled paved roads. The fire road up there has no gate to even close. I would be more concerned with traveling up the paved road from the 257 Grocery in the snow than I would the fire road. Even Hone Quarry is open year round although ice and snow may restrict use ( according to their website ).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I might be able to make this trip.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts