Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all..this is my first post as I just took delivery of our commander last week. I am shocked at the gas mileage (benefits and burdens, it's my wife's car and she loves it so that is worth much more than $$$ for fuel) and have researched snapping off the flap in front of the snorkel.

I also was shocked at how simple it was to remove the grill and access the snorkel. I had the flap in my hand...started applying pressure to break it...then wussed out. I just wanted to make sure I am not exposing myself to further problems. I am assuming that it would have to be a pretty big puddle or rock to find it's way through the intake, down the snorkel, into the airbox to cause a hiccup but was just double checking.

Also, if I get a random check engine light some day and take it to dealer for warranty work will some tech say "well you removed the flap so it's your problem"?

Thanks for any advice, I am just hoping to have someone push me over the edge here...

Joe

3.7 Commander
2.7t allroad

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Unless you plan to do some serious water fording, you should be able to remove the snorkle and not have any problems.

The dealer would have to PROVE that what you did caused the issue (See Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? so only airbox remains? It simply pulls out...correct?

and, I forgot to mention...we are going on 500 mile round trip weekend so I def. want to do this asap! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The design for the air intake is kinda peculiar. The engine is much more efficient (better mpg!) with cold air blasting into the intake. The intake on the JC has a flap over it that prevents "80%" of the airflow and some members here have broke off the flap or removed the snorkel completely.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Are we talking the Hemi or does this apply to the 4.7 as well. As Ranger said what is the benefit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read this post for better idea and pics:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200&highlight=snorkel

I also ordered the "velocity tuner" off of ebay which I am sure is "snake oil" but it was only 15$ and....quite frankly...I like to fuss with our cars so it's kinda fun for me tinker. I'll let everyone know my results. Right now we average ~11mpg which I believe is akin to that of a Sherman tank.

·
Registered
473 Posts
you average 11 mpg with the 3.7?
i'm averaging 15.7 with my 3.7. the lowest i have ever seen mine was about 13.5 when i first got it. if yours is that low then try disconnecting the battery for about 1/2 hour then reconnect. someone on here said that will reset the computer to your driving style.
i haven't even heard of the hemis getting that bad of mileage.

as for the snorkel, how much MPG should i gain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear that removing snorkel will add 1-2 mpg but also will give the engine a little more umph as the engine isn't starved for air.

Wont the battery cable being off cause problems w/radio codes etc etc?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I removed the snorkel with no noticeable impact to mileage. Then I installed an Airaid cold air intake. Noticeable HP gain. Supposedly better MPG also, but my foot is on the gas so much that I'm not seeing any real MPG gains here either. Perhaps if I lay off the pedal, but it's so much fun...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as a follow up...I didn't remove the flap but I did disconnect the battery for ~45 mins or so and "reset" the computer. This was miraculous. Wife gets 16.5mpg around town and we were around 18-19 on our trip.

Additionally, I was shocked at the comfort and adequate power on a long car trip. I received a speeding ticket for the first time in 8 years and I attribute it solely to the fact that I had cruise on (I never use cruise in my car) and was so comfy BS-ing that I wasn't paying attention (notice how I take NO responsibility whatsoever...).

Regards,

Joe

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just removed the whole snorkel. Toook about 5 minutes. Havn't drove it yet to see if there is any difference, but if anyone's worried about the warranty. Just slap it back on before you take it in. Not a problem;) That beats just breaking the piece in half and not being able to put it back on without it being noticed:rolleyes:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was looking at my V6 the other day and easily identify such piece. Can anyone confirm the V6 also has the snorkel? I might try disconnecting the battery as well, should I unplug both cables?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dabitz said:
I was looking at my V6 the other day and easily identify such piece. Can anyone confirm the V6 also has the snorkel? I might try disconnecting the battery as well, should I unplug both cables?
Mine's a 4.7, so I'm not positive with yours but, I took my grill off and on the left is where the airfilter is. Right in front of that box is a plastic tube that just slips in and out of the box and fits right up behind the grill.

·
Registered
473 Posts
the 3.7 does have the snorkel. it is on the passenger side behind the grille. if you look through the grill next to the passenger headlight you can see it.

i didn't remove mine yet but i probably will. just have to do it without my wife knowing it:rolleyes:

i have just over 8000 miles on mine and it seems to get slightly better as i put more miles on it. i would think that about 10,000 miles it would level off.

our driving is probably 90% in town and 10% highway and i'm at 15.7.
most driving is my wife going back and forth to work at 12 miles each way with only a few stop signs along the way driving about 45 mph.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I took mine out today (snorkle) :D I found a couple of dead flies inside the filter box too... I took the whole thing out, now I am concerned water might get into the airbox... any feedback from those who took it out already?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
JAH1 said:
Just as a follow up...I didn't remove the flap but I did disconnect the battery for ~45 mins or so and "reset" the computer. This was miraculous. Wife gets 16.5mpg around town and we were around 18-19 on our trip.

Joe,

What size engine do you have?

·
Registered
541 Posts
it is very easy to remove the snorkel, remove the grill, then open the filter box and remove the filter... then pop it out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts