Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 Jeep Commander that I purchased a few months ago. In the past 6 weeks or so there have been a handful of times that all of the notification lights on the on the instrument panel flash on and turn off. This morning it happened again, but then it started flashing on and off repeatedly. When it would happen the spedometer needle would jump as well as the other needles (gas, temp) and the back up light sensor would all light up and flash as well as the heat would turn on and off. The power was not lost to the vehicle as I have heard other people having trouble with. It drove fine otherwise. I do not know if it is relevant, but the Perform Service alert is on because I am now due for an oil change. Has anybody ever heard of this problem and know how to fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. I haven't been on here before and didn't know if more people would see it if I posted in two areas and I wasn't sure where best to post the question.

Is it dangerous or bad for the vehicle to drive the vehicle while this is happening? The shop isn't able to look at it until Friday. Is this an expensive repair?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm sorry. I haven't been on here before and didn't know if more people would see it if I posted in two areas and I wasn't sure where best to post the question.

Is it dangerous or bad for the vehicle to drive the vehicle while this is happening? The shop isn't able to look at it until Friday. Is this an expensive repair?
I hope I'm right but I don't recall anyone experiencing a full shutdown of the vehicle.....just all the warning lamps flashing and the instruments shutting down momentarily.
Try that key jiggle business I mentioned.
If you can reproduce the concern you'll be able to demonstrate it for the service people.

Rob

Regarding double posting.....you will find this forum to be very fast in responding to questions, probably one of the fastest I've ever been on.
Stay on it and let us know what resolved your concern.
Your information will be valuable for someone else down the road.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I had this exact thing happen to me last week while driving 70mph on the highway. Scared the crap out of me but the car continued to run fine and got me home. It has not happened again. I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing, LOL. Have you found a cause/solution to this problem yet?

·
Registered
127 Posts
mine only dose it in the summer, now in the winter since september it hasn't done it once. But in August every time i jiggle the keys. The ignition switch costs about 166.00 from what the dealer told me round here. that's not including labor....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guy's, Today i did the same thing to me 4 times, the cars is running and i looks like the car try to start again so the relay clicks on again ( so all the lights in the dash goes on and back off and every thing else open in the car ), put to power off, i jiggle the Key left and right to see the right where the start is it does it, and my friend at the dealer told me the same thing this a the haft for the key the problem.

i goes got the XK two weeks ago to i got 30 days warranty. there problem.

I'll let you know on the updates.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me today in my 2006 Jeep commander, all the light on the dashboard flickered on and off as I was driving. Did anyone ever find out the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't had this happen while driving. However, there have been six times in the last six weeks or so that the dash lights and center console lights didn't come on when it was started up. Turning off the engine and re-starting seemed to resolve it.
I took it to the dealer for my final service under warranty (almost to 30k) and they, of course, couldn't get it to happen. Anyone heard of this version of events? Perhaps it only happens in colder weather? Suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my Commander, which I have solved - 100%
Exactly the same symptoms, dashboard lights flashing on & off (and car not starting). I traced this to a loose battery terminal connection - which only manifests itself when the car / engine is hot (hence other posters saying this only happens in summer!). Sounds obvious to see, but isn't - the clamp stays on the terminal, but isn't tight enough to make a descent connection.
I think that the (original) clamp for the (+ve) battery terminal is slightly too large for the terminal; even when fully tightened it is only just clamping the terminal. As things get hot under the bonnet, the clamp expands, loosening from the terminal, poor connection, haywire electrics! Basically it is a poor design. I removed the clamp, cleaned up all the wires (WD40) and then fitted a new (non Jeep) clamp (cost at circa $3), which is a tighter fit than the original. Tightened everything up and I've never had the problem again. I had previously read online all the speculation about changing ignition switches for loads of money. Try my solution - its so cheap - it can't hurt to give it a go!
Best of luck,,,,

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I had the same problem with my Commander, which I have solved - 100%
Exactly the same symptoms, dashboard lights flashing on & off (and car not starting). I traced this to a loose battery terminal connection - which only manifests itself when the car / engine is hot (hence other posters saying this only happens in summer!). Sounds obvious to see, but isn't - the clamp stays on the terminal, but isn't tight enough to make a descent connection.
I think that the (original) clamp for the (+ve) battery terminal is slightly too large for the terminal; even when fully tightened it is only just clamping the terminal. As things get hot under the bonnet, the clamp expands, loosening from the terminal, poor connection, haywire electrics! Basically it is a poor design. I removed the clamp, cleaned up all the wires (WD40) and then fitted a new (non Jeep) clamp (cost at circa $3), which is a tighter fit than the original. Tightened everything up and I've never had the problem again. I had previously read online all the speculation about changing ignition switches for loads of money. Try my solution - its so cheap - it can't hurt to give it a go!
Best of luck,,,,
That's good info, Scot. Thanks. And welcome to the Forum. How about some pics of your Commander ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts