Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Memorial Day Uma's Malfunction Indicator Light (MFI) came on (I named my Commamder and she talks to me). I referenced the owner's manual and it read to take it in for service if it stays on after several driving cycles. I checked all of the fluid levels, checked the air filter, everthing checked out fine. The engine and the transmission appeared to function fine. No rough idleing, no hesitation, nothing. I figured I would see if it corrected itself by the time I took it in for its 6000 mile service next week. Anyway this morning (Saturday) at 0600 hrs on my way to my National Guard weekend drill at Camp Gruber, the MFI starts flashing, and Uma starts idleing rough and hesitating so I turned her around and drove her to the Jeep dealership in Broken Arrow. I don't know what the problem is yet, but as soon as I do I will post it here.

Anyone else experience this? I read that some have had trouble with their transmission limping along in 3rd gear but nothing like this. I hope this isn't a fault throughout the Commander line but I am starting to wonder. That is what I get for buying something the first year that it is out.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am curious how these items haven't been found in the WK too since they share the same chassis and mechanics.

Hopefully they will have all these issues worked out before July when they start producing the 2007s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service department called me Saturday afternoon. The Service Manager named off a long list of fault codes and said that it was beyond the weekend technician's capabilities. Repairs would have to wait until the "regular guy" could look at it on Monday. After a few moments of uncontrolled sobbing, I thanked him for calling and hung up. It is bad enough when one of my kids is ill and I can't do anything to make the pain go away, but to know that Uma is parked inside a cold dark service bay over the weekend with no one there to comfort her is almost more than a loyal Jeep owner can bear. More to follow.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
When the MIL is flashing that usually indicates that a misfire is taking place at that time. What could cause it is a lot of things, plugs, wires, coils, injectors, CMP, CKP, or even a mechanical problem. Or it could just be a lose connector somewhere, hard to pinpoint without looking at the truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service manager called me this afternoon with Uma's diagnosis. She has a faulty Oxygen Sensor. A simple fix, right? Wrong! The Oxygen Sensor was cross-thread into the exhaust at the factory and could not be removed so the exhaust tube between the engine and the catylitic converter has to be replaced. GEEZ! The part will not be in until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest. I probably won't get her back until Wednesday. I hope this solves the rough idleing and lack of acceleration. It is hard to believe that a sensor can have that much influence over a vehicle. Oh how I long for the simpler days of leaded gasoline, 4-barrel carbs and engine displacements were sized in cubic-inches. I suddenly feel tired and old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got Uma back from the dealership. Final diagnosis was two of the four oxygen sensors were bad. They were cross threaded (at the factory) into the exhaust and the service advisor said that is what shorted them out. The Commander has 2 catalytic converters and each converter has an inlet O2 sensor and an outlet O2 sensor. It could be the same thing that is causing other Commander owners to have problems with their vehicles stalling and losing power. It seems that Uma is actually running better than she ever has. I bought her a K&N air filter as a welcome home present.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts