Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a streamlight stinger rechargeable flashlight I wanted to mount in the rear cargo area. It appears that the rear acc. outlet reamains on when the vehicle is off. I would assume this would drain my battery. If I remeber correctly the front passenger outlet runs off the key(at least on my Grand Cherokee, I had). However, I would prefer to have it in the cargo area. Any ideas?

·
2,248 Posts
Either put a switch back there or use a 12 volt extension cord with a switch in the cord if you do not want to modify the outlet in back.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I have a streamlight stinger rechargeable flashlight I wanted to mount in the rear cargo area. It appears that the rear acc. outlet reamains on when the vehicle is off. I would assume this would drain my battery. If I remeber correctly the front passenger outlet runs off the key(at least on my Grand Cherokee, I had). However, I would prefer to have it in the cargo area. Any ideas?
The front driver's side outlet is on/off with the key. The front passenger side outlet is always on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
how about this ?

this is my Mag-lite in the rear cargo area .

I think this is another choice .

thank you for reading

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have two MagLights under my driver's seat and a small light in the cubby in front of the shifter. That works for me & no drilling.

·
Registered
602 Posts
this is my Mag-lite in the rear cargo area .

I think this is another choice .

thank you for reading
Where did you get the mounts?

·
2,248 Posts
Most sporting goods or gun stores sell the maglight mounts.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most sporting goods or gun stores sell the maglight mounts.
Thanks Huey. I have one of those police-style mini flashlights with the batteries that cost 12 bucks a piece, lol, in my console. I hate fumbling for it though, and sometimes, unknowingly, I'll be looking for something else and the button gets pushed through the case resulting in 25 bucks worth of dead batteries and me being screwed if I need a flashlight, haha. That setup in the pic above looks pretty sweet.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Where did you get the mounts?
Amazon has 'em:

http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-ASXD026-Flashlight-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00002N9ER/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1245594861&sr=8-1

I bought two round magnets at my local hardware; the magnets are drilled through the center, and are mounted in metal housings.

I used a nut/bolt to mount the magnets to a pair of the Maglite mounts and then glued felt fabric to the magnets.

In a Wrangler this provides a way to mount the Maglite to the tub under the passenger side door - or anywhere else there's metal to attract the magnets. It's much more secure than it sounds. Thanks to another driver cutting across the bow of my TJ I had a sudden, uplanned, immediate stop, causing the airbags to deploy, the swingaway bumper gate broke loose, everything loose in the vehicle flew forward - except for the Maglite. Didn't move an inch.

Currently my Maglite is in a "wide mouth" tool bag that resides in the back of the Cdr in the tray by the hatch - but I'll have to get out there and figure a handier spot. (One of the advantages of the TJ over the XK is that there's no shortage of uncovered metal surfaces in the TJ :rofl:).

But the mounts (with or without the magnet modification) do a nice job of holding the flashlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My latest attempt. It fits in the spot above the glovebox. I was thinking of using a sticky tape mount so I wouldn't have to drill holes.
I was also thinking I could drill a hole and fish the wire straight down and hardwire it. I removed the glovebox (again) it looks pretty clear under there. The downside is the hole would have to be big enough to fit the plug end through. Does anyone know how hard it would be to splice into the left aux plug. The wire hanging down is not going to work. It was sitting in my glovebox before maybe I should just plug it in every once in a while to keep the charge up?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I use a fenix flashlight which is about six inches long and runs forever on two standard AA batteries. It is brighter than my D cell maglight. Rather than drilling and wiring for a large flashlight maybe look at smaller brighter lights and keep and extra set of batteries just in case. A small flashlight like the one I have and a backup set of of batteries can fit just about anywhere in the XK with no mods and no worries about whether or not it will work.

The fenix light cost me about $60.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you are going to drill a hole and are worried about the plug end fitting through, as in you don't want to drill a giant hole you could always cut the wire in half fish it through and reattach with solder or wire nuts, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the kind of advice this forum is good for (thanx Yanser). I guess I couldn't see the forest through the trees. I planned on trying to hardwire anyways...It seems obvious now that I could just drill a small hole. Thank God I didn't get that big bit out! I was thinking of drilling about a 1/2" to the right of the charger so the cable wouldn't be bent to extreme. I guess I would have to drill from underneath. It just seems to fit pretty good in that spot, almost like the cb spot on the drivers side.

Does anyone know what wires (colors,location) I will need to splice for the keyed aux outlet? I don't know if I will be able to see directly to the back of the plug. Or, is there a better place to connect?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gang, I finally decided to get out of the chair and mount my MagLite.

I use the 3 cell model.

It's been in my toolbag in the back of the Jeep, but I wanted it to be handier.

In my Wrangler I had it mounted on the passenger doorsill using MagLite mounts and magnets.

The Commander doesn't have open metal, so the magnet mount wasn't an option.

Instead (after test fitting) I popped up the plastic doorsill cover on the driver's side, drilled 4 small holes, mounted the brackets, put the doorsill cover back in place and the flashlight is now very securely mounted on the floor right by the driver's seat.

Caveat - 1. The MagLite has a fairly large bulb end and centering the flashlight on the doorsill (my first inclination) would have meant interference with door closure. The flashlight needed to be mounted closer to the seat. The caveat there is you don't want it quite touching the seat - the potential for an annoying rattle exists. Fortunately there is enough room for the light where it is not touching either the seat or the door.

Caveat - 2. Securing the bolt nuts on the rearmost mount means working blindly (I didn't try prying up too hard on the doorsill rear plastic, see pics); it took a few tries for me to get the nuts started. Easiest way is to run the bolts thru the mount and doorsill until they are just able to be felt by fingertip. Then put the nut over the bolt end (you'll feel it when it engages) and tighten down from there.

Entire job (not including looking for the mounts, which I had removed from the Wrangler and then promptly misplaced :rofl:) was under 30 minutes.

EDIT: I used these mounts: http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-ASXD026-Flashlight-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00002N9ER/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1247847029&sr=8-1

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts