Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody put/mount anything cool up on the middle kindof flat area of the dash? I think I have seen a flash light mounted there. Maybe a storage box or some custom organizer. Just think that area could be used for something. Post pics if you have anything cool there.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have played with the idea of mounting a center channel speaker up/in there, but haven't actually made any cuts yet.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I use it for my GPS pad/base. I bought this rubber square that has a GPS mounting location in the middle (round plastic circle) that acts as a heavy base for the GPS suction cup mount, it keeps my GPS at a nice distance from me as opposed to having it on the windshield.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i've always wanted to put a flip up LCD screen in there, but i figure that would be too much work and $ then it being practical.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have my Navus by Mopar mounted there. It is actually a Garmin unit and uses a 2 gig flash card. I can down load any current maps available and transfer them to the flashcard, so it is always up to date. The base is made for the Commander, so it fits perfectly, and is hardwired into the electrical system. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have my Navus by Mopar mounted there. It is actually a Garmin unit and uses a 2 gig flash card. I can down load any current maps available and transfer them to the flashcard, so it is always up to date. The base is made for the Commander, so it fits perfectly, and is hardwired into the electrical system. :eek:rangehat:
That is COOL! I have not seen that and definitely wouldn't mind it in my XK. Was the install difficult? The pocket seems a little deeper than the one in mine and I don't have the bin above the radio so maybe this wouldn't even fit my Jeep.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
That is COOL! I have not seen that and definitely wouldn't mind it in my XK. Was the install difficult? The pocket seems a little deeper than the one in mine and I don't have the bin above the radio so maybe this wouldn't even fit my Jeep.
Installation was very easy. You have to drill three holes in the top of the dash - 2 mounting studs and one for the harness. It gets its power from the radio - unplug the power harness from the back of the radio, plug the Navus harness into the radio power plug, and then replug the radio power harness into the Navus harness. Screen dims with interior lights. What is weird is when the Jeep is off and I open the liftgate, the screen lights up! Unfortunately, it is only compatible with 2006 and 2007. The dash and radios changed for 2008, and more than likely the power harness plug for your radio is different. It has all the features of any Garmin unit. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I want one. Where did you get that and how much?
I bought mine from justforjeeps.com. They are no longer made, but Garmin still supports them. The flash drive that came with it was v7. Up until last year, you could purchase an up-to-date preloaded flash drive from Garmin, but they no longer do this. You can get their newest maps on CD and preload a 2 gig flash drive yourself, like I do. E-bay used to occaisionally have them. The units fit many Mopars, but the base makes it vehicle specific. Search Navus by Mopar on e-bay. Otherwise, it is around $800 from justfor jeeps. It has a small screen, but the right side of the screen is actually 3 tabs that give you information. You can show all three like in my picture, or hide them one at a time for a full screen, if you so desire. It has all the features of any newer Garmin, but the screen is not 3D. I like it because it is built in, with no wires! I have never lost a signal - parking garage, city, mountains, etc. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts