Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a commercial last night with Dr. Z he said "We will be releasing a Flex Fuel Commander, and we are working on a new Diesiel Engine that will be the cleanest Diesiel Engine ever made.

From the commercial it sounded like the Flex Fuel Commander would be coming out with 07's and DIesiel option soon after that.

David

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The flex fuel engine is the same 4.7L that is in the current 06 Commander EXCEPT for 2007:

* the fuel system has been changed so that it can handle the corrosive nature of ethanol
* an engine control module has been added to detect the fuel mixture (percentage of ethanol to fuel) and adjust the engine performance accordingly. Without this module the engine would actually lose performance and gas mileage.

All 4.7L engines for the Grand Cherokee and Commander from 2007 on are flex fuel capable. And for those of you about to ask, current (pre-2007 model year) 4.7L engines can not legally be made E85 capable as federal regulations prohibit that.

The diesel Commander will most-likely follow the already announced 2007 diesel Grand Cherokee but probably not until the 2008 model year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep in mind that when you use E85 in your vehicle, your fuel economy will drop by about 20%.

Given that E85 is more expensive than gasoline and you will get lower fuel economy, it does not make any fiscal sense.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually on the news here in Dallas, I saw a station that was selling E85 and it was 30 cents cheaper then unleaded.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used to be a strong proponent of E85 until I realized that hardly any stations exist that pump E85 and the cost differential. It really needs to be 20% to 30% less than the E10 that most places are pumping or preparing to pump in order to be cost effective. I really hope it gets there because I'm tired of being held captive by the oil companies and our enemies in the midddle east.

The story of E85 is still being played out and no ones knows the ending. Potentially great for the Country but currently too expensive. This could change rapidly if the price of gas continues to rise.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Keep in mind that when you use E85 in your vehicle, your fuel economy will drop by about 20%.
Erik, the engine control module I mentioned alleviates the difference in fuel economy. Compression ratios are changed which allows a better burn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts