Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored today so I decided to build a flip up front license plate mount. For too long I have been driving with my plate mounted under my passenger side front seat, that is not good here in Jersey. Since it was a slow rainy day I decided to document the build and share it with you. So here it is......

The first step was to gather up some scraps from around the garage.
1. A larger flat piece of steel.
2. A gate hinge
3. A piece of flat bar stock.
4. A slightly used license plate
5. A new license plate frame.
6. 2 Small magnets

Next take the large plat piece of steel and lay out the cuts to make based on the shape of the roller fairlead. Them make the cuts and round the sharp corners and edges.

After the cuts are made, do a preliminary mock up to determine where to cut the hinge. Then mark and cut the hinge.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then mark and drill the holes to mount the plate to the bar stock and the holes in the flat stock to mount it to the roller fairlead.

Next lay out the parts and prep them to be welded. Making sure the hinge is centered on both pieces of steel weld all three together.

Then take the assembly and test fit it on the fairlead. Drill the holes in the fairlead to meet the holes in the flat plate. While the bracket is attached mark the location where the rollers touch the back side of the license plate.

Once the test fit is complete, disassemble the bracket and paint it. While the paint dries take your two magnets and super glue them to the back of the license where the marks for the rollers are.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once the paint is dry mount the bracket to the fairlead.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good project, Adamag. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice job. That looks awsome.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Great ingenuity !

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Thanks for sharing another one of your great ideas with us!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments. I figured since I was board and it was raining outside all day I would take some pictures and do a write up. I went for a quick ride today and the magnets held well there was not rattling around or anything. I was going to see if I could add another magnet to hold it in the up position but I think if I need to I can just use a small bungee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's awesome! Great creativity! I wonder if there would be a way to get it to lay all the way back by pushing it out a little more or something.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's awesome! Great creativity! I wonder if there would be a way to get it to lay all the way back by pushing it out a little more or something.
Thanks, with a different style hinge the plate would probably lay back farther but I don't think you could get it to lay all the way back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
nice...cant wait to see it in person...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts