Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys Im kinda in a bind. Im going to be purchasing a couple new jacks for my jeep and was wondering which ones you guys prefer. The only thing im worried about is it not being tall enough. I measured from the ground to the point I usually use to jack the front left/right of my jeep up and it was about 13". Im looking at a floor jack that raises to 19.25". I like the bottle jacks cause you can easily put a piece of 4x4 or cinder block under it to raise it. The thing I dont like about them is my jeep slipping off the jack. which do you guys prefer?!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I prefer floor jacks for a few reasons:

1. Less likely to tip over. Safer on uneven surfaces.
2. When a tire is flat, a bottle jack is often difficult to fit under the vehicle.
3. Floor jack usually has more lift.
4. Floor jack is often faster.

I always have one in my Jeeps and have used it a few times on the trail and even in soft sand.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer floor jacks for a few reasons:

1. Less likely to tip over. Safer on uneven surfaces.
2. When a tire is flat, a bottle jack is often difficult to fit under the vehicle.
3. Floor jack usually has more lift.
4. Floor jack is often faster.

I always have one in my Jeeps and have used it a few times on the trail and even in soft sand.
I'd have to agree with you.. but my new setup I will be doing, i wont be able to use a floor jack because my jeep will be too high. So i dont know what to do.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I use an Arcan 3 1/2 ton floor jack XL35. It has a 21 3/8 lift and works great on my stock Commander. It also can fit under a 3 1/2" space. I jack by the side frame to rotate tires and get both front and rear off the ground at the same time. The 3 1/2 ton is over kill, could lift the entire Commander, but it very sturdy and should last. It weighs 108 lbs so is not exactly a portable:) Always use jack stands when lifting the car - no jack bottle or floor is meant to be safe enough to support the veichle.
If the lift is not enough, jack each wheel instead of the frame. By the way NEVER jack by the center of the axles (pumpkin) they were never meant to be a support for that much weight, the weight is on the wheel ends of the axle assembly, don't ask me how I know:(

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd have to agree with you.. but my new setup I will be doing, i wont be able to use a floor jack because my jeep will be too high. So i dont know what to do.
Keep looking around. I had a floor jack that could lift a Wrangler on 40's. Best part is it could lift 40's in less than 10 pumps of the handle. Most parts stores will carry "one size fits all" jacks, so you may have to special order one.

There are floor jacks to fit almost any height and need. If you go bigger, I'd suggest aluminum, but they get expensive. Sears usually has a large selection of quality floor jacks. I bought mine at an auto body repair supply store.

Just keep in mind, they can get expensive, so be prepared for a little sticker shock.

Here's an example. There's also many options in between.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I use a normal craftsman 3 ton floor jack and I have no problem getting the jeep high enough off the ground and I'm running 33's

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam, do you have the black 3ton service jack? that had a lift height of 19.25? that's the one I was looking at.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Adam, do you have the black 3ton service jack? that had a lift height of 19.25? that's the one I was looking at.
I have the black craftsman 3 ton. Not sure if its the service jack or the height of it. But I have no problem lifting the jeep with it. You just need to know the right spot to use on our Jeeps

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have a CO2 powered bottle jack, compact, light weight and fast!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have a CO2 powered bottle jack, compact, light weight and fast!
Yea that looks like mine. In the rear I jack up the XK by the differential. Then put a jack stand under the axle tube on each side of the differential. Up front I place the jack right under the lower control arm. Once off the ground just make sure you use a jack stand to support the weight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts