Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the threads, but have not found the details I need to know before I order one. Can someone please tell me what part number I need in the Flowmaster 50 for my 5.7L Commander?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoa!

Thanks for all the help! I kept on digging like a good newbie and found the correct 50 series. Taking it to Mad Hatter Muffler here in Panama City to have it welded in on Monday. I haven't decided yet to have the resonator removed at that time or wait to see how it performs with it on. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I removed the resonator when the FM 50 was installed on my XK. It has a great rumble but at highway speeds, the wind noise still overpowers the exhaust. It's not really loud at all. The shop should let you start it, maybe take it for a spin and listen to it once just the muffler is on. If it's still pretty quiet, which I suspect it will be, then have them round-file the resonator.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got the 4.7, so no resonator for me. I love the way the 50 sounds when I get on it just as much as the near silent hum when cruising. Since I don't know how much of an effect the resonator has all I can do is make a suggestion: have them weld up the 50 (leaving the resonator on) then go for a little test drive, preferably getting on the highway as well so you can "get a feel" for the way it sounds in a variety of conditions. Back to the shop and have 'em lop off the resonator at the back end. repeat test drive. if you prefer the resonator have 'em weld it back up. if not, select a nice tip and get it welded up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flowmaster 50 Series Installed w/pics

Left resonator on for now. Sounds really good. I will probably have the resonator removed later on. Thanks to the guys at Mad Hatter Automotive in Panama City for a great job - I highly recommend them...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I removed the resonator when the FM 50 was installed on my XK. It has a great rumble but at highway speeds, the wind noise still overpowers the exhaust. It's not really loud at all. The shop should let you start it, maybe take it for a spin and listen to it once just the muffler is on. If it's still pretty quiet, which I suspect it will be, then have them round-file the resonator.
That's the way to go!

·
Registered
104 Posts
So help out those of us following in your footsteps.

Which 50-Series was it??

HD?
Delta Flow?
Super 50? (SUV)
Big Block?

I thought 50 Series flowmaster was going to be easy until I started looking a little closer..

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Left resonator on for now. Sounds really good. I will probably have the resonator removed later on. Thanks to the guys at Mad Hatter Automotive in Panama City for a great job - I highly recommend them...
Damn your XK is clean underneith. But whats up with the rust on the rear output shaft?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man just put the flowmaster 50 on my 4.7 love it!. now i know why people said there mpg went down i cant stop riving it up at red lights!! and the looks i get from people. Hats off to the people at Mad Hatter in Columbus OH, did a great job. put it on in 20mins cost only 40 bucks!!!!. IF you have any doubt about getting the 50 dont get it sounds great!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
now get rid of the drop-in filter and the engine bay muffler (a.k.a. air plenum) and build a 4" CAI. I can easily sip through an 1/8th of tank on my 30min commute - the combined 50/intake sound is intoxicating! I used aluminum parts from Spectre and K&N universal cone. I've since put 3 coats of Duplicolor's ceramic-based paint on it (it is metal absorbing heat off the block). It's now cool to the touch after an hour of cruising in the Georgia heat. My IAT (intake air temp) is now only 5-7 degrees above ambient, which truly makes it a cold-air-intake.

pic - http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=360&pictureid=2289

1 - 11 of 11 Posts