Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed the Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler which I originally bought for my previous 4.7L Commander and kept the stock resonator.

Well its the first time for me to install aftermarket mufflers, so I feel the sound a bit loud ,, at least for me .. but its nice and really tells that there is V8 under the hood ,,, and it keep telling me that the engine still running while driving :)

The sound remain even at high speeds !! tested till 85 MPH ,, which I didn't like as I miss the quite interior at constant speeds. Honestly I hated the muffler the first two days and wanted to remove it but started to like it a bit although I miss the quite Commander! and I'm not sure I will keep it or not !

The muffler I used was 52556 type, 2.5" ,,, (Robby your name is there :))

Side by side with the stock muffler.

Video comparing the sound before and after ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TqTzgP9Ydo

Playing around with the Flowmaster in quieter location ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxz_RrFiMY

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Wow!
I'm famous.
Sounds good.....I understand your misgivings about being able to hear it at cruising speeds.
I recently posted about my Chevy truck w/Gibson exaust and how I find the nice V-8 tone becomming rather tiresome at speed.....far worse with the trailer attached.

Proving once again, sound is subjective.
But, I also think as I've grown older (bummer, sort of) I appreciate the quiet more. (EGADS! Never thought I'd say THAT!)

Rob

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are absolutely right robby, sound is subjective, for some this would wonderful sound and just a noise for others!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
If you ran the tailpipe out the back (straight out) vs having it terminate pointing down at the end of the Commander,
would that make a difference in the high way sounds?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if that will help !

And you know I like it when the exhaust blows of the street dust when accelerating :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I started to get used to the sound and actually start to like it :) ,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey great post for the flowmaster 50 on your XK. I am also considering the same setup but at interstate speeds how is the sound inside the cabin? My wife is concerned that it will be to loud and noisy for the family on longer trips. So, i was wondering if you could comment on that or have any experiences positive or negative from inside the cabin?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey great post for the flowmaster 50 on your XK. I am also considering the same setup but at interstate speeds how is the sound inside the cabin? My wife is concerned that it will be to loud and noisy for the family on longer trips. So, i was wondering if you could comment on that or have any experiences positive or negative from inside the cabin?
I'm not sure what the interstates speed are over there !! but in case of A/C on and windows up and driving on steady speed between 50 and 78 MPH the sound can easily be heard from inside the cabin, specially in the second and third rows, when you go over that speed the higher RPM reduces the loudness and the outside air overcomes the exhaust sound.

During nice whether and medium temp when you rather keep the windows down you might not like the exhaust sound when the MDS kicks in and engine switches to 4 cylinders !!! ,,, you know it sounds like an engine with several spark plugs totally dead :) ,,

if you like quietness or your family are sensitive to sounds then they might get disturbed ... ,, and they might like it but sounds acceptance if total different from each other.,,, the boys like its sound ,, girls they don't care :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you know what size pipe and how much you need to make the extension piece? Did you keep you stock exhaust tip?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know what size pipe and how much you need to make the extension piece? Did you keep you stock exhaust tip?
The size is 2.5" .. and the extension was about 20" if I remember it right.

and yes I kept the stock exhaust tip.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The size is 2.5" .. and the extension was about 20" if I remember it right.

and yes I kept the stock exhaust tip.
Thanks for the reply. I debating getting a 50 series flowmaster and a CAI, or just buying the magnaflow catback.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I debating getting a 50 series flowmaster and a CAI, or just buying the magnaflow catback.

I am in the same boat, cant decide whether to go with the catback or just replace the muffler. FLowmasters have a horrible reputation on the net in terms of durability, so I'm leaning towards a magnaflow muffler, not sure which though, the 22" or the 18".

Let me know what you decide, just curious! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a $220 credit with Amazon (sold some of my old textbooks back) so I bought the magnaflow catback system. I only had to pay like $290 dollars out of my own pocket. I priced the flowmaster muffler which was around $100 then to have it installed was around $50-60. So I thought I might as well pay another $60 bucks and get a full stainless steel system. Once I heard the clips on youtube I knew that the magnaflow system was for me. Now I just have to get an intake and I will be good to go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It will not be delivered until next week. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I realise this is an older thread but, Ahmed, did you remove the resonator or leave it in? cheers.
I left the resonator to minimize the 4 cylinder MDS noise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts