Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Very new on this forum, very informative and loving it.
I noticed from the previous thread, the pipe extension for the flowmaster was installed before the muffler, therefore, the muffler is now farther from the engine. Any advantages/disadvantages, or does it make any difference?
I do understand, with this set up, you only need to cut one pipe instead of 2 for front and back.

Thanks in advance for your input!

CT

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont think there is any difference in performance gains. I could be wrong, but where the muffler is mounted is more for sound than performance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just did the Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler. The extension is toward the front. I think i would prefer it that way, if the muffler was to the front you might here it under your feet more. BTW, I love the sound, Really no drone at all other than the tranny shifting early and the Jeep lugging around. I picked up almost 2 mpg on average, but thats before putting my foot into it, also notice that if i use in 5th around town under 50 it helped get to that mpg increase..

·
Banned
389 Posts
Just did the Flowmaster 50 Series SUV muffler. The extension is toward the front. I think i would prefer it that way, if the muffler was to the front you might here it under your feet more. BTW, I love the sound, Really no drone at all other than the tranny shifting early and the Jeep lugging around. I picked up almost 2 mpg on average, but thats before putting my foot into it, also notice that if i use in 5th around town under 50 it helped get to that mpg increase..
Mind if I ask how you picked up 2 mpg by changing a muffler?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have no Idea, I averaged 12.7 before, I know avererage 14.4, I dont think it was strictly the muffler, I think because of the muffler I can hear the engine lugging and i shift into 5th. Honestly expected maybe 1mpg with the free flowing exhaust, anything above is bonus... BTW the new muffler is about 1/3rd the size of the original..

·
Banned
389 Posts
Did you leave the rest of the system alone ie: resonator/tail pipe?
I know your not asking me, but as for my .02 worth...my resonator delete with a Gibson 12" stainless tip gained me zero on gas mileage...but it does give me a nicer exhaust note especially above 3K rpm. Someday I'm gonna put a 50 series Flowmaster on mine, but for now I'm still enjoying the quiet interior and don't wanna do anything soon to make it louder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did you leave the rest of the system alone ie: resonator/tail pipe?

Yes, I left everything else as original, As for the sound, its not too loud at all until I put my foot down...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys

X2! i went ahead and had mine installed thesame way with the extension infront of muffler but i think i'm gonna need a resonator, it's a little bit too loud when idling. i only want the growl when accellerating.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am wanting to put a flowmaster 50 series on my commander. Can someone tell me what size the extension tubing is and how much you need? I have someone who will weld it on, but I need to make sure I have all the parts. Did you use the stock exhaust tips or did you get an aftermarket one?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts