Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of those that have experience with flowmaster mufflers. I'm hearing that they rust out fairly quickly (~ 1 yr). Is this true?
I find it hard to believe but I personally haven't used there products before.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't have one (yet), but maybe it might depend on where you live? Nothing rusts out here, unless you live by the ocean.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I hope not, I'm planning on getting a 50-SUV.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Out here ive seen and heard them lasting a year, to maybe 2 years before they rust pretty bad. Im not sure y but all my friends that has had them only got maybe 2years out of them. Just my 2cents :D

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
JeyDog, MI uses a lot of salt on their roads, so most things made of metal don't last too long up there. I used to live in MA, you could watch the cars rust on a daily basis.

·
Registered
164 Posts
RedCommander said:
I've had flowmaster mufflers on vehicles for years and years. That sounds like a statement from someone trying to sell stainless steel exhaust systems.
Darn your little bug running around the screen... I keep thinking I have an infestation!

·
Registered
237 Posts
For me, topography and weather condition could be another factor why some mufflers get rust quickly even if they are made to last for years.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Salt + Water + Iron = Rust... If you go to the beach for a week with your truck when you get home wash it with clean water...if they salt roads, wash everything on your underbody with water after the snow has gone...basic car maintenance. I've had flowmasters on all my trucks/cars and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Most Mufflers rust from the inside out, not the outside in. Unless it is a Stainless Steel muffler, you can usually count on 3-4 years with no problems. Maybe less if you do a lot of city driving or short trips where condensation gets to build up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would think that the type of vehicle would also effect the longevity of the exhaust system too. The angle of the muffler, the position of it under the vehicle, etc. I was going to mention the types of travel/driving as well, but Bulldog beat me to it. He is right that mufflers really do rust from the inside out due to the condensation. The longer your vehicle runs the hotter the exhaust system gets, the less condensation in the exhaust system. Cold weather makes it worse as well as cold snow, slush, etc dragging or splashing on the system not letting it get hot enough to evaporate the water inside. It seems like the mufflers rust from the inside and the pipes,hangers,etc rust from the outside.
Here where they pour salt on the road every winter factory exhaust would last 5 years and the aftermarket replacements like 2.

PS I like Red's bug! It makes my wife crazy when she looks over my shoulder though. She wants to smack the screen!!!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Flowmasters are not known for longevity. They are hugely popular with the Mustang crowd and have been so for many years. They sound great, but that sound changes when rust causes holes! A sad but true fact for those people who live in the snowbelt and run Flowmaster mufflers.

BTW, the same thing can be said of just about any non-stainless steel mufflers. If you're truly worried about rust, go with a high grade stainless muffler. It will cost more up front, but it will probably outlast your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
95 Impala SS. Borla T-304 Stainless. Installed June 1995. Looks like new/sounds like new.
96 Impala SS. Borla T-304 Stainless. Installed August 1997. Same as above.
97 Silverado. Gibson T-406, Mild stainless pipes, T-304 muffler. Installed August 1997, Looks new/sounds new
02 Camaro, B4C, LS1. Borla T-304 Stainless. Installed May 2002. same as above.

As always, good stuff ain't cheap, but........If you only want to do it once, step up to the plate. You wont regret it when its 13 years old and looks like it was installed yesterday.
All these systems come with a lifetime, million mile warranty.

Just something to consider................Rob

·
Registered
451 Posts
Right On robby... I couldn't agree more!
My 1990 olds still has the factory stainless exhaust on it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a flowmaster on my old XJ ( rolled it ) that I put a 350 Chevy in... the muffler and pipe has been sitting next to my shed for 3 years in the elements and still looks fine.. ie: no rust... I figured I might use it or give it to someone some day.... Aluminized exhausts dont rust bad at all... As a matter of fact, I had a 2000 Cherokee that had a stainless steel Borla header on it and it turned into a rust ball in a matter of months.. I was VERY dissapointed in it due to the price I originally paid ( 460+)... Borla is over priced in my honest opin.. I dont recall which grade of stainless it was..

I just installed a cat back aluminized Gibson system on my hemi commander..
sounds so good I cant stay off the damn go pedal... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND VERY AFFORDABLE!! I got it for $450 out the door..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts