Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L Hemi bone stock.. I hate how quiet it is... So i decided to look at flowmaster mufflers.. which one should i get and how do i know which one fits it?

·
2,248 Posts
Flowmaster #42541, 40 series, 2 chamber muffler installed in place of the monster big factory muffler. Might have lost 50 pound in the trade. I also had them remove the resonator at the rear and put on a straight pipe with a chrome extension on it. Now it sounds like a Hemi.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler is also a good choice if you don't want it as loud as the 40 series but still want a good sounding/mean exhaust. I have it on my 4.7 liter V8 Commander and it sounds amazing! BTW you need a 2.5 inch with offset inlet and 2.5 inch center outlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey i am really interested in the flow master super 44... only question. Sadly I've only got the 3.6L V6 in there, would it sound anywhere near as good as this?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sure it will sound close. At the very least it should make it sound like a bad ass V-8! There should be clips out there of the super 44 on a v-6 to give you an idea.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the 3.7L as well. The main aftermarket mufflers being ran on these engines seemed to be the Flowmaster Super 44 and the Thrush Welded muffler. Through comparing YouTube videos, its easy to see how incredibly similar they sound. Since the Thrush muffler is half the price, at just 35$ on Amazon, I figured there wasn't much to lose by giving it a try, if not just to get the huge stock muffler outta there. Funny enough, I recently had it in the shop, and the manager asked what engine mods I had done, due to the new sound. All in all, I'm very happy with the Thrush muffler, as it gives the 3.7L just enough noise to suit the large presence of the XK.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have the 3.7L as well. The main aftermarket mufflers being ran on these engines seemed to be the Flowmaster Super 44 and the Thrush Welded muffler. Through comparing YouTube videos, its easy to see how incredibly similar they sound. Since the Thrush muffler is half the price, at just 35$ on Amazon, I figured there wasn't much to lose by giving it a try, if not just to get the huge stock muffler outta there. Funny enough, I recently had it in the shop, and the manager asked what engine mods I had done, due to the new sound. All in all, I'm very happy with the Thrush muffler, as it gives the 3.7L just enough noise to suit the large presence of the XK.
How is the drone?

·
Registered
61 Posts
What's the price running? Stopped by a shop today to get a quote and he was laughing at how big the stock muffler is. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I paid $70 for the install (not including the muffler) which included a short extension pipe as the Flowmaster was so much shorter than the factory muffler.

I think I paid $130 or so for the muffler itself (super 50).

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What's the price running? Stopped by a shop today to get a quote and he was laughing at how big the stock muffler is. Thanks.
Funny, someone selling Flowmaster mufflers would somehow conclude the size of muffler indicates anything meaningful?

One advantage because of the size of the OEM muffler, you can run a true dual exhaust setup, just it has to route both pipe runs on the one side. Two aftermarket mufflers, with offset in/out pipes, can be staggered and overlapped, to fit in the space of the single OEM muffler.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny, someone selling Flowmaster mufflers would somehow conclude the size of muffler indicates anything meaningful?

One advantage because of the size of the OEM muffler, you can run a true dual exhaust setup, just it has to route both pipe runs on the one side. Two aftermarket mufflers, with offset in/out pipes, can be staggered and overlapped, to fit in the space of the single OEM muffler.
I must of typed a bunch of stuff in small print that I done remember. All I said was he laughed when he said the flowmaster would be a third of the size. Knew offsets and recommended 2-2 1/2in pipe so I didn't lose any power. I was just in a nice area of SD when I got the quote. There's the south side of SD county that prices for everything drop drastically so I asked where he was on his install price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts