Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Just did this today. Love it. Tried it first leaving the resonator on but it was way too tame. Really could only tell when you got on the throttle. With the resonator off its a whole different animal. You get a little drone at freeway speed but its not bad at all. My wife loves it..(her rig).

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just put on a super 44 but I kept my resonator. My fear is the highway drone with no resonator. I went from straight pipe back to muffler. I loved straight pipe sound but I had no back pressure causing major lag at low RPM. Super 44 helped a lot but it's so quiet compared to no muffler lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you have the muffler shop put on the tailpipe?

Yeah. I had the muffler shop do it all since it was pretty cheap and I needed to get a bend in for that resonator delete.

Edit: Total for the muffler, tip, pipe and labor was a little over $200 after tax. Cheaper than I could do it if I had to buy all the materials myself (good clamps ain't cheap).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put on a super 44 but I kept my resonator. My fear is the highway drone with no resonator. I went from straight pipe back to muffler. I loved straight pipe sound but I had no back pressure causing major lag at low RPM. Super 44 helped a lot but it's so quiet compared to no muffler lol

That was my plan as well but when I drove away from the muffler shop I was very underwhelmed. I was expecting some noise but what I got wasn't a whole lot different than stock unless you rapped it out over 3500 RPM. So there wasn't enough rumble for me in normal, everyday driving. I won't lie, there is some drone on the freeway once I get in the 2100 RMPish range. It doesn't bother us since my wife and I grew up with old V8s. But honestly, unless you're the type of driver who takes long freeway trips listening to nothing but the road noise the drone shouldn't be an issue. Even at a low volume the radio covers it up pretty well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a side note... I've been having an O2 sensor issue over the last few years to where the sensor closest to the muffler (passenger side bank, rear) was tripping my CEL. This would come and go randomly. When I took the Jeep to the muffler shop, the CEL was on and had been on for about a week. As soon as they cut off that septic tank of a muffler out from under her and mounted the new one, the CEL went off and hasn't been back. Not a coincidence I'm thinking. We'll see if it stays off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So I removed resonator and it's still too quiet for me. I have the exact same set up as you. Super 44 no resonator just pipe. Here's a cold start of mine. I have the HEMI as well. I wonder why such a difference? I miss my straight pipe lol I like it loud...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts