Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just for Quick Reference. since the owners manual sucks.

i just changed my transmission and transfer case 2 days ago.

Transmission and Transfer Case:

5.7L V8 and 4.7L V8- QT2 and QD2

Transmission- 6.5 QTS fully synthetic ATF+4

Transfer Case- 3.5 QTS fully synthetic ATF+4

3.7L V6 Transmission and Transfer Case QT1

Engines- (oil capacity)

3.7L V6 5qts Engine Oil

4.7L V8 6qts Engine Oil

5.7L V8 7qts Engine Oil

Differentials oil Capacity

Front 1.5qts 75W140 (GL5)

Rear 2.5qts 75W140 (GL5)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

From the service manual:

--------

ENGINE OIL (including filter)

3.7 L: 4.7 L (5.0 qts.)
4.7 L: 5.6 L (6.0 qts.)
5.7 L: 6.6 L (7.0 qts.)
3.0 L Diesel: 9.5 L (10.0 qts.)

COOLING SYSTEM (Includes 0.9L (1.0 qts.) for coolant reservoir)

3.7 L: 10.0 L (9 qts.)
4.7 L: 13.7 L (14.5 qts.)
5.7 L: 13.7 L (14.5 qts.)
3.0 L Diesel: 13.2 L (14.0 qts.)

A/C REFRIGERANT SYSTEM

Single Unit: 0.68 kg (1.50 lbs.)
Dual Unit: 0.963 kg (2.125 lbs.)

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Service Fill - 545RFE: 2WD - 5.2 L (11 pts.), 4WD - 6.2 L (13 pts.)
Service Fill - NAG1: 5.0 L (10.6 pts.)
Overhaul Fill - 545RFE: 13.33 L (28.0 pts.)†
Overhaul Fill - NAG1: 7.7 L (16.3 pts)

TRANSFER CASE

NV140 (QT-I) : 0.65L (1.4 pts.)
NV245 (QT-II & QD-II): 1.8L (3.8 pts.)

FRONT AXLE

C200F: 1.7 L (57.5 oz.)
C200FE: 1.7 L (57.5 oz.) [ELSD, add 118 ml (4 oz.) of Friction Modifier]

REAR AXLE

C213R: 2.07 L (70 oz.)
C213RE: 2.24L (75.5 oz.) [ELSD, add 118 ml (4 oz.) of Friction Modifier]

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Original thread stuck and locked, Duplicate discussion thread created here with direct link from stuck thread

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was suprised when i changed my transfer case.

the fluid was brown. and there was quite a bit of silver particles in it. it might just be the first time it has ever been changed. it only took about 10 minutes to change and refill. i changed mine at 40K miles.

my transmission was shifting really hard. when i would put it in reverse, it would clunk in . it would take a few seconds between shifts.

now everything is very smooth. almost like new. the tranny took me a few hours because i let every drop of fluid out. and the filter seal was a pain to get out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Get Lost 4X4 said:
i was suprised when i changed my transfer case.

the fluid was brown. and there was quite a bit of silver particles in it. it might just be the first time it has ever been changed. it only took about 10 minutes to change and refill. i changed mine at 40K miles.

my transmission was shifting really hard. when i would put it in reverse, it would clunk in . it would take a few seconds between shifts.

now everything is very smooth. almost like new. the tranny took me a few hours because i let every drop of fluid out. and the filter seal was a pain to get out.
How did you fill the transfer case? I was thinking of doing this eventually but not sure how to get up in there. Was going to have the stealer do it. I'm assuming you did this similarly to engine oil? let it get warm/hot and get all the crap in suspension?

The Way I have always tried (not always possible) to change my Transmission fluid is to disconnect one of the trans cooler lines, and using 2 5 gallon buckets, pour all the fresh fluid in one and put the suction side of the line into the fluid (with little filter) and then have the output just pump into the empty bucket. Start the car and let it idle, and it will pump and flush the system. If you watch the color of the fluid you will see when you have fully flushed the whole system torque converter and all. It uses a bit more fluid, but you get the whole system.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Way I have always tried (not always possible) to change my Transmission fluid is to disconnect one of the trans cooler lines, and using 2 5 gallon buckets, pour all the fresh fluid in one and put the suction side of the line into the fluid (with little filter) and then have the output just pump into the empty bucket. Start the car and let it idle, and it will pump and flush the system. If you watch the color of the fluid you will see when you have fully flushed the whole system torque converter and all. It uses a bit more fluid, but you get the whole system.
How much fluid do you use for this process?

·
Registered
602 Posts
just for Quick Reference. since the owners manual sucks.

i just changed my transmission and transfer case 2 days ago.

Transmission and Transfer Case:

5.7L V8 and 4.7L V8- QT2 and QD2

Transmission- 6.5 QTS fully synthetic ATF+4

Transfer Case- 3.5 QTS fully synthetic ATF+4

3.7L V6 Transmission and Transfer Case QT1

Engines- (oil capacity)

3.7L V6 5qts Engine Oil

4.7L V8 6qts Engine Oil

5.7L V8 7qts Engine Oil

Differentials oil Capacity

Front 1.5qts 75W140 (GL5)

Rear 2.5qts 75W140 (GL5)

So the transmission and transfer case use the exact same fluid? I thought you could use any tranny fluid (i.e.) synth. mobil1, RP, etc., but the tranfer case used a Mopar ONLY fluid you HAD to get at the stealer???

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So the transmission and transfer case use the exact same fluid? I thought you could use any tranny fluid (i.e.) synth. mobil1, RP, etc., but the tranfer case used a Mopar ONLY fluid you HAD to get at the stealer???
I think that information that was posted was wrong. The Transfer Case doesnt take Full Synthetic ATF. It uses the Mopar ONLY fluid you were refering to. As for the Transmission im not sure as I have not messed with mine yet. I swapped out the T-Case fluid at 30,000 miles and it still looked brand new.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think that information that was posted was wrong. The Transfer Case doesnt take Full Synthetic ATF. It uses the Mopar ONLY fluid you were refering to. As for the Transmission im not sure as I have not messed with mine yet. I swapped out the T-Case fluid at 30,000 miles and it still looked brand new.

Well, Jeep did my transmission and rear diff. at 30 K miles. I wish I would have had them do them with synthetic. THEY told me synthetic was "too slippery", so I let them do it with OE stuff. NOW, I still have to do my front diff., and am aggrivated b/c I wanted everything to be synth., but I hate stuff being "unequal", so I will prob. have them do the front with whatever Mopar stuff they used on the rear. I still have to get my transfer case done as well. Have you noticed at Autozone, etc. that the Mobil 1 full synth. tranny ATF doesn't say "+4"? Can we use that or only the ones that say +4? Oh, btw I have only put around 3500 miles on since that service.

CORRECTION : I am now reading that factory OEM Mopar diff. fluid IS synthetic, so I think what the staeler must have been telling me was that they thought RP was TOO slippery, b/c they did sell that as well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Oh, also, I read one of your older posts and you said that the factory Mopar diff. oils ARE snthetic----did I read that right? Also, you said that in our QTII's (I think that's what I have, lol) They DO have to add some kind of additive in the rear diff. Here is a pic of my service paperwork. I do not speak "stealer", so could someone tell me, if in fact, itr is noted that this extra additive was added? Also, I am wondering why in the hell they did not change the front!!??

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
AXLE
NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using Mopar® lubricants or lubricants of equal quality.

FRONT AXLE
200MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140
REAR AXLE
213MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140

This was posted by ROMEO in a thread I found and definately states that the Mopar gear oil is synthetic.

It looks like they did use friction additive in your rear differential. Towards the bottom it says 1 4318060AB Lubricant. I cross referenced that part number on www.makeitjeepparts.com and it says it comes back to an additive for the rear end. So im assuming thats the friction additive.

I was told by the dealer that we need to use friction modifer additive due to the viscous coupler in the rear differential.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Transfer Case doesnt take Full Synthetic ATF. It uses the Mopar ONLY fluid you were refering to.
A guy at the local dealership by me told me that it takes the ATF +4 when I went to pick up some fluid for it. I hope that he's not full of crap because thats what I've got in there now. I used Valvoline ATF+4 because the dealership wanted 30 flippin dollars a quart for the mopar stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
A guy at the local dealership by me told me that it takes the ATF +4 when I went to pick up some fluid for it. I hope that he's not full of crap because thats what I've got in there now. I used Valvoline ATF+4 because the dealership wanted 30 flippin dollars a quart for the mopar stuff.
The fluid I got from the dealer for the transfer case definately wasnt ATF +4. This is right out of the PDF File.... 3.7 liter uses ATF+4, 4.7 and 5.7 uses Mopar Transfer Case Fluid.

NV140
Quadra-Trac I

1.4 pts. (22.4 oz./0.7 qts.) Automatic Transmission Fluid
Mopar® ATF+4, type 9602
(p/n 05013457AA quart MSRP $7.42)
or
(p/n 05013458AA gallon MSRP $29.67)

Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m
30,000 mi.

NV245
Quadra-Trac II and
Quadra-Drive II

3.8 pts. (60.8 oz./1.9 qts.) Transfer Case Fluid
Mopar NV245/247/249 (p/n 05016796AB MSRP $11.95)
(Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended)

Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m

·
Registered
602 Posts
AXLE
NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using Mopar® lubricants or lubricants of equal quality.

FRONT AXLE
200MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140
REAR AXLE
213MM - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140

This was posted by ROMEO in a thread I found and definately states that the Mopar gear oil is synthetic.

It looks like they did use friction additive in your rear differential. Towards the bottom it says 1 4318060AB Lubricant. I cross referenced that part number on www.makeitjeepparts.com and it says it comes back to an additive for the rear end. So im assuming thats the friction additive.

I was told by the dealer that we need to use friction modifer additive due to the viscous coupler in the rear differential.
Good info! Thank you. Now I DO hae QT II right lol??? Also they used their (Mopar) trans fluid for the flush/drain. I suppose there is no sense in changing out 3500 mile-old "reg" trans fluid for synthetic right? I guess I can just wait another 12K (45K total) to change to synthetic. It is HOT where I live (112 degrees today)and I was conerned b/c it will only get hotter over the net couple months.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good info! Thank you. Now I DO hae QT II right lol???
Im willing to bet that you have QT II. Unless you are one of the lucky ones with a 4.7 liter and QD II. It would say QUADRA DRIVE II between the shifter and cup holders if you had it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Im willing to bet that you have QT II. Unless you are one of the lucky ones with a 4.7 liter and QD II. It would say QUADRA DRIVE II between the shifter and cup holders if you had it.
Nope--doesn't say it haha.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good info! Thank you. Now I DO hae QT II right lol??? Also they used their (Mopar) trans fluid for the flush/drain. I suppose there is no sense in changing out 3500 mile-old "reg" trans fluid for synthetic right? I guess I can just wait another 12K (45K total) to change to synthetic. It is HOT where I live (112 degrees today)and I was conerned b/c it will only get hotter over the net couple months.
Im sure it would be fine if you waited. However if money isnt an issue then id say go ahead!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts