·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Good news! :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good news! :)
The guy at the dealer said there are only two fluids in our XKs that dont come fully synthetic.

1: The oil (unless you had them change it over to Synthetic)

2: Windshield washer fluid (thats a given) hahaha

Unless your phunkeydude and have three fliuds in your XK that arnt Synthetic.

3: Water in your engine.....lol:rofl:

Sorry I had to say it.

Im sure there is some other fluids in the XK that arnt fully synthetic but thats what the guy said.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The guy at the dealer said there are only two fluids in our XKs that dont come fully synthetic.

1: The oil (unless you had them change it over to Synthetic)

2: Windshield washer fluid (thats a given) hahaha

Unless your phunkeydude and have three fliuds in your XK that arnt Synthetic.

3: Water in your engine.....lol:rofl:

Sorry I had to say it.

Im sure there is some other fluids in the XK that arnt fully synthetic but thats what the guy said.
Well, even if the front and rear diffs are in fact synthetic, I'm still glad I changed the front over to Mobil1 (remember the thread I posted where Mopar came out like almost last in the gear-oil studies) Now all I have to do is change out the rear diff oil. Get this: I call my old dealer in TX to ask if when they did my 30K rear diff service, if the just drained/filled it or took the cover off and cleaned it. (I posted the actual work/service order here in a couple of places, but it was very vague as to WHAT they actually did) The service advisor told me THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW if they cleaned it out or just drained/filled it!!!!!:mofo: You see, since that was only around 3500 miles ago, if they would in fact have for SURE taken the cover off, cleaned it out, etc., then I would have only drained/filled it with Mobil 1. Now I have to go through the whole process because, even though they had me on their screen right in front of their faces, could not tell me for certain WHAT they did!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How do they not know what they did? They do the same thing to every commander when they come in for a differential service. That guy needs to be fired.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How do they not know what they did? They do the same thing to every commander when they come in for a differential service. That guy needs to be fired.
What might be going on is they just pumped out most of the oil and put in new oil without taking the back cover off.

As far as I know the factory recommended procedure is to pull the back cover so it can be wiped out and inspected etc.

If so that may be why they "don't know" what they did ... because the CHARGED for the cover pull ... but didn't actualy do it? :(

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What might be going on is they just pumped out most of the oil and put in new oil without taking the back cover off.

As far as I know the factory recommended procedure is to pull the back cover so it can be wiped out and inspected etc.

If so that may be why they "don't know" what they did ... because the CHARGED for the cover pull ... but didn't actualy do it? :(

Exactly. When I lived in MD the dealer I bought my XK from stated that they have a machine that sucks all the fluid out and that they dont take off the diff. cover.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a thought. Concerning the discussion on the additive for the rear end, maybe since Jeep/Chrysler went to the lifetime powertrain warranty, they're just adding it for extra protection, because they're warrantying it so long. Just a thought. I mean our vehicles don't require synthetic oil, but most of us run it, becuase we want the extra protection. So the maker of the diff might say it's not neccessary, but Jeep might want it there, as they're the ones covering the warranty on it and maybe it will help in the long run. I might be way off on this one, just playing the devils advocate and trying to think of a positive reason they might be asking us to do something that is not required by the manufacturer. ???????????

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Just a thought. Concerning the discussion on the additive for the rear end, maybe since Jeep/Chrysler went to the lifetime powertrain warranty, they're just adding it for extra protection, because they're warrantying it so long. Just a thought. I mean our vehicles don't require synthetic oil, but most of us run it, becuase we want the extra protection. So the maker of the diff might say it's not neccessary, but Jeep might want it there, as they're the ones covering the warranty on it and maybe it will help in the long run. I might be way off on this one, just playing the devils advocate and trying to think of a positive reason they might be asking us to do something that is not required by the manufacturer. ???????????
Since it was required for the 2006 models that did NOT have the lifetime powertrain warranty I don't think this is the reason.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe they were checking wear in the 06's before going with the Lifetime, or maybe they planned on doing both and it just took them an extra year to get the Lifetime Warranty approved upstairs. Once again, just playing the other side, and no, not like that. :)

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Maybe they were checking wear in the 06's before going with the Lifetime...
These drivetrains and 4WD systems have been in use for years. The lifetime warranty is just a sales gimmic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok, I was wrong. Just a thought

·
Registered
401 Posts
I changed out my rear differential fluid today (to fix the leaky cover, courtesy of Rausch Creek bolders). When re-filling, it only took two quarts of oil (plus 8oz of friction modifier) before overflowing. Elsewhere on this thread it states that the rear diff on the Hemi with QDII and ELSD should take 2.5 qts, plus the friction modifier.

Should I run it with only two quarts? Or should I back up a ramp to tilt the axle forward and get the extra half quart into the fill hole? Any experience with this (since this is a capacity thread, after all!) please chime in...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I changed out my rear differential fluid today (to fix the leaky cover, courtesy of Rausch Creek bolders). When re-filling, it only took two quarts of oil (plus 8oz of friction modifier) before overflowing. Elsewhere on this thread it states that the rear diff on the Hemi with QDII and ELSD should take 2.5 qts, plus the friction modifier.

Should I run it with only two quarts? Or should I back up a ramp to tilt the axle forward and get the extra half quart into the fill hole? Any experience with this (since this is a capacity thread, after all!) please chime in...

According to the info I have you should have only used 4 oz. of friction additive per axle. Since you used 8 oz that other 4 oz would account for some of the gear oil that would have been used. Also im not sure how your QD II differs from my QT II axle, but according to the owners manual for my XK it says your not supposed to fill the rear end with fluid until it pours out. Its supposed to be like 1/2 from the fill hole or something like that. Id have to check out the owners manual to get the exact spec. So if I were you i'd look into that. But I definately wouldnt recomend putting it up on a ramp and adding more fluid. You will over fill it.

200mm (front)

200mm (front, ELSD*)

213mm (rear)

213mm (rear, ELSD*)

226mm (rear, SRT8)

C200F
57.5 oz (± 2 oz.)

C200FE
57.5 oz (± 2 oz.)

C213R
70.0 oz. (± 2 oz.)
C213RE
75.5 oz. (± 2 oz.)

226RBI (Dana 44)
76.0 oz. (± 2 oz.)
All models, all axles:
Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)
Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $30.00)

*NOTE: Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.

SRT8 models DO NOT require Limited Slip Additive.

Front and rear axle drain plug torque: 44 ft. lbs/60 N·m
Front axle cover bolts: 41 ft. lbs/56 N·m
Rear axle cover bolts: 30 ft. lbs/41 N·m

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oops. I suppose a little extra modifier won't hurt anything - I hope.

Even with the extra 4 oz it is still well under 2.5 qts added. Maybe there is a slight slope on my garage floor that caused it to reach the fill hole sooner - I'll turn it the jeep around and see if any comes out when I open the fill cover again.

Will any warning lights come on to indicate if I have too much or too little in there?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Oops. I suppose a little extra modifier won't hurt anything - I hope.

Even with the extra 4 oz it is still well under 2.5 qts added. Maybe there is a slight slope on my garage floor that caused it to reach the fill hole sooner - I'll turn it the jeep around and see if any comes out when I open the fill cover again.

Will any warning lights come on to indicate if I have too much or too little in there?
Extra friction additive wont hurt anything.

There isnt any warning lights that come on to indicate wether you have to much or to little fluid in the diffs.

If I recall correctly my rear axle didnt require exactly what the owners manual stated that it would take.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If he used a half a quart less of oil (16oz's), but then added an extra 4oz's of additive, he should still be 12oz's shy if my math is right. 2 1/2 qts = 80oz's + 4oz's = 84oz's,
He put in 2 quarts = 64oz + 8oz's = 72oz's, 84 - 72 = 12oz's

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok. Our Commanders sit stock with the nose end down and the tail end up in the air. Our lifts pretty much level them out, effectively causing the rear diff oil fill hole to begin leaking out when we fill it, QUICKER right---because the rear end end dipped downward because of the leveling out??? It seems like we'd wind up using less oil due to this right? Just a thought.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok. Our Commanders sit stock with the nose end down and the tail end up in the air. Our lifts pretty much level them out, effectively causing the rear diff oil fill hole to begin leaking out when we fill it, QUICKER right---because the rear end end dipped downward because of the leveling out??? It seems like we'd wind up using less oil due to this right? Just a thought.
Good point. Along with a slightly sloped garage floor that might do it.

If my diff explodes on the highway I'll let you know!

By the way Danny, thanks for your post of the diff takedown earlier this month. It was invaluable for me!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If he used a half a quart less of oil (16oz's), but then added an extra 4oz's of additive, he should still be 12oz's shy if my math is right. 2 1/2 qts = 80oz's + 4oz's = 84oz's,
He put in 2 quarts = 64oz + 8oz's = 72oz's, 84 - 72 = 12oz's
I realize that the extra 4 oz. didnt totally account for the other 1/2 quart that he wasnt able to get in. Thats why I said when I did my rear differential I dont remember using exactly the amount they stated you would need either.

I dont think its due to this theory because my commander still sits nose down just like when it was stock. I believe that the rear axle is supposed to take 2.5 qts. when the axle is bone dry and the reason why we can't get all 2.5 qts. in is because there is still old fluid in the axle tubes that didnt totally drain out. Just my .02

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll second that, Danny. I used your takedown post to do my diffs earlier this week. I would have stumbled through it if you hadn't posted that. Thanks!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts