Jeep Commander Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Need a little guidance on getting a proper ID on a transfer case and diffs.
I have an 08 w/ the 6 cyl and Quadra Trac 1.
How do I confirm the transfer case and diffs? The transfer case is an NV140 correct?
I'm getting ready to do fluid changes and santed to make sure I have everything straight before I buy fluids.
Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
This was way to hard to figure out.

So I was getting confused with all this trying to figure out what I actually need. Between mis-printed user manuals, conflicting threads and people getting bad advice I put this together for myself and thought I'd share thinking maybe it could help someone else. I based all the amounts off the factory service manual and added a bit to clarify. The sticky for this fluids leads here, hence posting in the old thread, and the sticky itself still shows the bad info that started my confusion. I'm pretty darn sure everything here's is accurate but if I screwed something up let me know so I can correct it.

Link for amsoil axle fluid

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Need a little guidance on getting a proper ID on a transfer case and diffs.
I have an 08 w/ the 6 cyl and Quadra Trac 1.
How do I confirm the transfer case and diffs? The transfer case is an NV140 correct?
I'm getting ready to do fluid changes and santed to make sure I have everything straight before I buy fluids.
Thanks
Yes, the QT I uses the NV140 transfer case.

The QT II and QD II use the NV247 (from memory, correct me if I'm wrong)

The NV140 is much smaller than the NV247, but if you don't have a lot of experience with xfr cases, the NV140 might look really big to you. Search for pictures of the two xfr cases, once you have pictures to compare the two you'll see the difference in relative size, and one look at your xfr case and you'll know if its the smaller NV140 or bigger NV247.

Another good clue, the NV140 has a damper bolted to the back of it, it looks like a 3 legged stool on its side with a big cylinder on the stool (rubber and a weight are in the cylinder). It is over the drain plug, its easiest to just unbolt the damper instead of trying to work around it, its unlikely you've got an allen wrench that will fit under the damper.

The NV247 doesn't need a damper because it is so large and heavy it dampens the vibrations itself. But it has an electric motor that is a big cylinder bolted to it, don't mistake a motor for a damper. A damper doesn't have an electrical connector and a motor isn't mounted on a three legged stool to stand it off from the body of the xfr case, as well a motor wouldn't be mounted over a drain plug.

My NV140 required less than a quart of fluid, recommended ATF+4, but I used AMSOIL Synthetic Mulit-Vehicle ATF (which specifically states it meets and exceeds all ATF+4 specs).

ATF+4 is a superior quality synthetic fluid, never use other ATF's in replacement for it unless it is one of the few high quality synthetics that specifically states it meets and exceeds all of ATF+4 specs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there a consensus whether the limited slip additive is needed in a QD-II diff when using Mobil 1 75W-140 synthetic? Mobil says it's good for limited slip diffs, but use additive if chattering is observed. What's your experience?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Is there a consensus whether the limited slip additive is needed in a QD-II diff when using Mobil 1 75W-140 synthetic? Mobil says it's good for limited slip diffs, but use additive if chattering is observed. What's your experience?
I don't have QD-II or the Hemi, but, my understanding is you should always use the Factory OEM Limited slip additive in the QD-II Diffs from what I recall other Hemi/QD-II owners posting.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've done with and without. I still use it whenever possible, but I got water in the rear diff one time and needed to change fluids without the additive, and had no problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks all, I'll go ahead with it. I just ran across the "change diff fluid every 15K miles" recommendation and it came as quite a surprise (the frequency, not the additive). Then again, this is my first 4WD vehicle.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Friction Modifier

Auto companies don't add anything they don't have too, everything cost money, x millions of autos.

So, if they use it, there is a reason for it, so I do as well....

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If you have the QDII you need the friction modifier front and rear. 4 OZ not 8. Even if the gear oil says LSD you need the modifier in the QDII.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, fellow Jeepers!

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander (3.7L, V6, FWD, base) and was wondering how much Mopar ATF+4 to add after changing the tranny filter. I don't believe in lifelong fluids. I've read here that you should add 6.5 quarts, I've read elsewhere that you should add 2 quarts, and a friend told me that I should add 6.6 quarts. My car's owner manual doesn't even want to talk about it outside of saying that Mopar ATF+4 is what the engine's transmission system takes. What is the actual amount that should be added? The conflicting information has me somewhat confused.

Thanks in advance.
-Chadwick

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
Hello, fellow Jeepers!

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander (3.7L, V6, FWD, base) and was wondering how much Mopar ATF+4 to add after changing the tranny filter. I don't believe in lifelong fluids. I've read here that you should add 6.5 quarts, I've read elsewhere that you should add 2 quarts, and a friend told me that I should add 6.6 quarts. My car's owner manual doesn't even want to talk about it outside of saying that Mopar ATF+4 is what the engine's transmission system takes. What is the actual amount that should be added? The conflicting information has me somewhat confused.

Thanks in advance.
-Chadwick
@Chadwick1 The 3.7 NAG1 Mercedes transmission is dealer only serviceable unless you have the proper equipment and know how to use it. That is why there is no dipstick and the check tube is capped off. There are threads here on it if you do a search.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
I have done a search and I've heard all different responses, hence the reason why I asked - for clarification.
And did you see where I said that it is only dealer serviceable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, sure did. And did you see where I asked for the tranny fluid capacity (because I am not getting ripped off by a dealer)? Once I know this, I will successfully do it myself. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
Yep, sure did. And did you see where I asked for the tranny fluid capacity (because I am not getting ripped off by a dealer)? Once I know this, I will successfully do it myself. Thanks anyway for trying to help.
You're welcome. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
101 - 119 of 119 Posts