Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished servicing the rear diff and the transfer case, but when I got to the front diff I'm a little undecided about the best way to proceed.

I know that I have to remove the skid plate to get to the drain and fill plugs, but do you all normally take off the cover?

It looks to me like the only bolts holding it on are no higher than the middle of the cover, if that's true then I guess we could take those off and just slide the cover down?

I took pictures, but I can't get them to insert properly.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
You only have to remove the drain plug to empty the fluid. The cover itself is a structural component of how the differential/inner axle unit mounts to the chassis. Removing the diff cover would require the removal of most of your front drivetrain. So it was very nice of DC to build in a drain plug :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I saw, there were 3 bolts holding it to the frame and then 6 or 8 bolts around the side/bottom of the cover. I haven't removed the skid plate yet so I didn't really get a good look at all of it. I "think" I saw the fill plug on the font of the cover about halfway up, but once again the skid plate was in my way. Is that where it is?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The fill plug is on the front of the diff, the drain plug is on teh driver's side just below the fill plug. You have to remove the skid plate and use a 14mm hex driver on both plugs.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
The fill plug is on the front of the diff, the drain plug is on the driver's side just below the fill plug. You have to remove the skid plate and use a 14mm hex driver on both plugs.
I should have read these posts before shelling out $160 to have my front differential drained and filled. Cripes. Next time- I'm doing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you need a pump for the transfer case and both diffs. Well you don't absolutely need one for the rear, but it sure makes it a lot easier. At Wally World they sell an orange pump in the automotive section for just $5 that works great for this stuff. Easy to use and to clean. And for the 14mm hex driver, I found a set at AutoZone for $11.99 (12mm, 14mm, 17mm).

I have dreaded this service for months, but now that I've done it there really isn't all that much to it! ... and I saved a bunch of money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts