Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I performed the first oil change in my '06 Commander. Mobil-1 5w-30 and filter. I took a look at the differentials and transfer case, sort of some advanced planning for those fluid changes to come. It looks like the differentials are fairly straight forward, but the positioning of the fill hole on the transfer case looks like it is going to be a problem getting a fluid container up there for the refill. I will be doing this with the front wheels on ramps to gain room underneath. Has anyone performed these fluid changes, and how did you do it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Frank said:
This weekend, I performed the first oil change in my '06 Commander. Mobil-1 5w-30 and filter. I took a look at the differentials and transfer case, sort of some advanced planning for those fluid changes to come. It looks like the differentials are fairly straight forward, but the positioning of the fill hole on the transfer case looks like it is going to be a problem getting a fluid container up there for the refill. I will be doing this with the front wheels on ramps to gain room underneath. Has anyone performed these fluid changes, and how did you do it?
I have not messed with the diff's yet but am going to be taking that on soon. Hopefully we can get some good feedback...

I just wanted to ask what kind of engine you have. I noticed that you put in 5W-30 so I assume you have the 4.7?

·
Registered
588 Posts
The BEST way to put fluid in a T/C or differential is to use a pump. I have tried several but the best for me is the pump that AMSOIL sells that screws onto THEIR quart bottles (I think it would possibly not fit the competitors). Works great. If you dont have a pump you are gonna need a length of 1/2 hose and a funnel. Takes two people, one holds the hose in the hole while the hose is snaked out and up and the other pours the fluid into the funnel stuck in the hose. Its kind of nasty as once you scream STOP you got to deal with the fluid in the hose. john

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is the 4.7 V-8. The hose idea is really ingenious. It does make sense. I guess you can put a pan underneath it all and plan on catching the excess. What kind of fluids do the differentials and transfer case use? I'd like to stick with synthetics.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It'll be spelled out in your owners manual but going from memory, I believe the differentials take 85/90 though IDEALLY 75/145 synthetic and if you have limited slips in there you add 4oz of additive (both the dealer and Amsoil have this product. T/C usually takes A/T fluid but I havent checked for the commander as I only have 620 miles on mine so far. Probably will be next year before I address those areas. john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts