Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order the fluids for the 30K maintenance on the Commander I picked up last week. Not sure if it was done by the previous owner so I am going to change them for my own piece of mind. I just wanted to double check to make sure I've got everything.

Differential: AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-140 plus friction modifier (4 quarts + 4oz per axel friction modifier)
Motor: Mobil 1 Synthetic – 5W-30(6 quarts) or AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-30 Synthetic
Transfer Case: Mopar NV245/247 Transfer Case Fluid P/N 05016796AB (2 quarts)
I'll also be changing the spark plugs, air filter and oil filter.

Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I take it you don't have the hemi? If you do, it has MDS that requires 5w20.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep it's the 4.7. I've got the drain pain covered and one of my buddies burns the oil in their heater so I've got the disposal covered as well.

Well I'll place my order tonight with Woodbrothers and maybe tackle the maintenance this weekend if it all get's here!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ranger - I'm looking forward to the info provided here along with sharing some picture and stories of the new to me Commander. It took me about 72 hours to get a lift ordered from the time of purchase and I have since filled out a spreadsheet of parts - I forgot what it was like to own a Jeep. It's been almost 10 years since I sold my last one to pay for college!

I got a good chuckle out of your Chris Farley image!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Oh, I better turn signatures back on. I missed that.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Ah, that's better. I see his sig now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
As long as that AMSOIL is synthetic. Everything on the Commander is synthetic. (At least underneath)

I'm not sure what type oil the Mopar stuff is, other than it's specific to the NP245 ONLY, so it really doesn't matter.

I'd stick to a Wix or Baldwin for oil filter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep the AMSOIL is synthetic, picked up a wix oil filter and the mopar fluid is the stock stuff so I should be all good. I picked up the Mobile 1 synthetic oil for the motor today after work and will probably be getting some plugs tomorrow. As long as everything get's here in time I'll be doing the work this weekend, otherwise it'll have to happen next week some time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally got a chance to get my 30K maintenance done this past weekend. All went well, nothing too difficult, just tooke some time. The only thing I have left to do is get the tranny flushed but I'm waiting on my lift to get here so I can get the alignment and the tranny done in one trip.

I ended up just putting the factory plugs back in and even a fresh set of those made an incredible difference. It seems to idle much smoother and has much better throttle response. I had never diven fresh Commander so I didn't have anything to compare it to but the before and after was amazing. I picked up some mileage as well, averaged 19 on the interstate last night with the cruize set on 72.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an '06 Limited with the Hemi and I read that Jeep discourages synthetics with this engine because it could interefere with the proper functioning of the MDS ... just like they caution against using RainX on your windshield because it could interfere with the rain-sensing wipers.

I use:
Oil - Pensoil
Tranny - NV245
Transfer Case - NV245
Front and Rear Diff - Mobil 1 & the friction modifer

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have an '06 Limited with the Hemi and I read that Jeep discourages synthetics with this engine because it could interefere with the proper functioning of the MDS
No where in the manual does it say not to use synthetic oil. But you DO have to use 5W-20 in the HEMI for the MDS to work properly. The manual does say not to use oil additives.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
OK this is why I'm sorta confused. I think people are getting the transmission and transfer case confused.

Tranny - NV245 This is the transfer case ID not what fluid should be used. Or do you put a nv245 in your transmission? :stickpoke:
Transfer Case - NV245 Ok so you have a NV245 transfer case. What fluid do you put in it?
Front and Rear Diff - Mobil 1 & the friction modifer Mobil 1 what?
Also the modifier is only needed if you have QD II.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ragging on you. I'm not. I am putting together my list of fluids to buy and when searching the forums to find which ones I needed I ran across posts that said to use transmission fluid in the transfer case and other mis-information. If someone took that kind of info followed through it could end badly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any synthetic gear lube will already have the friction modifier in it - no need to add anything to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts