Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, ive not been on for a while - new grandson took up a lot of time.....

Over the last couple of days the commander (3.0 CRD) has dropped a few spots of oil on to the driveway at home. on looking at the engine i cant see anything obvious coming from the top and running down.

underneath the engine there are small drips of oil coming from the two drain holes on the underengine tray.

local garage say they suspect it might be the flywheel oil seal, but an autogearbox repair place quoted 500 pounds for labour, 50 pounds for the part, plus tax, adding that it probably isnt the flywheel seal though.

all in all not very helpful since i dont fancy having the engine and gearbox taken out, only to be told it isnt needed.

Anyone got any ideas? all help greatfully appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the 3.0 CRDs to know if there is any common failure seals...

BUT, here's what I'd do:
I assume by "under engine tray" you mean the skid plate, or engine guard?
I'd start by taking that off so you can actually see the engine, should just be (4) 15 or 16mm bolts. Good chance it's a mess under there, especially if it's coming from the front main seal. -just been blowing all over the engine as you've been driving. You'll be fine leaving this tray off until you get this all figured out.
Get some engine de-greaser and just clean everything. Different de-greasers have different instructions, so just do what it says on the can.
After it's all clean and dry, go drive it a little. Should be fairly easy to spot where it's coming from now that everything is cleaned up.
A front seal shouldn't be too bad. A rear is probably another story, unfortunately....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Guys.
ben away for the weekend but left the jeep in the local garage.

(yes by underneath tray, i meant the skid plate - same vehicles different terminology- i blame the pilgrim fathers.... )

lateset thinking is that its possible an oil seal on the turbo or oil cooler (seemingly a known fault over here, but we have more crd engines than most, so thats probably why its known here). it causes oil to run down the V of the block and down the rear of the engine.

will let you know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts