Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2009 Commander and it only came with one key. I want to purchase another one and have it programmed at the dealership for a spare.

I was looking online and have found that they can be ordered a few places for around $100, and even on eBay for ~$50, all brand new. Has anyone bought one? If so, where did you order yours? How much did the dealer charge to program it?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Fobik key uses a "Philips 46/PH20" Transponder ... it's the same Transponder as all Commanders use, just your has no mechanical ingition lock.

You can check the compatibility list where you buy the Fobik but to be safe you should get the EXACT FCC number as your key uses ... Check the back of the key it should be " FCC ID: M3N5WY783X "

Make SURE to buy from a reputable dealer .. some people have gotten stung on eBay, the chip in the key can only be written to ONCE, you can not write them to another car after that.

I brought a remote head key to my dealer here (same chip as yours takes, same programing procedure) and they charged me $45 to program it.

After you have TWO keys the Commander can program more keys for you, up to a total of 8 keys ... look in your owners manual.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Currently, I have only one key and they two dealerships I have talked to quoted me $92 (River Oaks Chrysler) and $100 (can't remember) to program the second key. Does anyone in Houston know of a dealer that is not currently trying to rape their customers? I remember that Archer used to do the programming for $45, why would they charge an hour of labor for something that takes them 10 - 15 minutes tops?

Hmmm...I just called another dealer that is on my way home and they have quoted me $46 to do the programming, which I am very willing to pay since that is about half hour of laber. I'll report back and let you know how they do.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Currently, I have only one key and they two dealerships I have talked to quoted me $92 and $100 to program the second key. Does anyone in Houston know of a dealer that is not currently trying to rape their customers? I remember that Archer used to do the programming for $45, why would they charge an hour of labor for something that takes them 10 - 15 minutes tops?
It can take longer than that .. they have to phone in for the PIN Number sometimes and that wastes some more time.

BUT yes I still agree a half hour would be PLENTY to bill for a job like this

... you do not HAVE to go to a dealer though .. if you are in a larger city you can see if a local locksmith can program it for you, some Locksmiths have the mobile programing tools

... but I do not know if it will be cheaper or not ... call around and let us know

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually went to Allen Samuels Dodge and was able to get my key programmed and have the DRL's enabled for $46+tax. I told the tech when he pulled my car back that I would like the DRLs enabled and explained the process to him, he did it with no problem.

Afterwards, I talked to Jose Padilla, the service advisor, and he told me to go ahead and post on here that the $46 price is good for setting up options in the computer and programming keys. If you go, just ask for Jose and you can tell him you read about it online, he will work with you.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to call any locksmiths before I left the office.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I actually went to Allen Samuels Dodge and was able to get my key programmed and have the DRL's enabled for $46+tax. I told the tech when he pulled my car back that I would like the DRLs enabled and explained the process to him, he did it with no problem.
Which trim level is your XK? There have been questions about enabling DLRs in Sport models.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which trim level is your XK? There have been questions about enabling DLRs in Sport models.

Mine is a Sport and they are working like a charm. I told the tech what I read on here - to change the country code to Canada, turn on the DRL's, then change the country code back to US. No problems.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm sure DLR is an acronym .. but what does it stand for?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I'm sure DLR is an acronym .. but what does it stand for?
Should be DRL not DLR -- Daytime Running Lights.

Or if you really mean DLR then:
The Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR) from Microsoft is an ongoing effort to bring a set of services that run on top of the Common Language Runtime (CLR) and provides language services for several different dynamic languages.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DRLs are standard for Canadian vehicles, I believe.

:eek:rangehat:

If I remember correctly, DRLs are run by law in Canada.

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires DRLs on all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990. Canada's proposed DRL regulation was essentially similar to regulations in place in Scandinavia, with an axial luminous intensity limit of 1,500 candelas, but automakers objected, claiming it was too expensive to add a new front lighting device, and would increase warranty costs (by dint of increased bulb replacements) to run the low beams. After a pitched regulatory battle, the standard was rewritten to permit the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps producing up to 7,000 axial candelas, as well as permitting any light color from white to amber or selective yellow. These changes to the regulation permitted automakers to implement a less-costly DRL, such as by connecting the high beam filaments in series to supply each filament with half its rated voltage, or by burning the front turn signals full time except when they are actually flashing as turn indicators.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If I remember correctly, DRLs are run by law in Canada.
Yes that's right since 1990 ... I have no idea of they help prevent ac indents or not ... but it is the law ... I know even in say back in the 60's and 70's some people use to turn on their headlight during daylight hours as an added safety precaution of some kind.

I can remember some one in my family (an Uncle or Cousin) who complained abut the practice as his wife used to always be leaving the lights on and let run the battery down :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts