Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the mopar fog light kit on a base Commander? Is it real involved? I'm one of those people who’s not afraid of doing things myself, but I'm always leery of anything electrical (home or autos). If it's relatively plug and play I'd be ok, but if we start talking about splicing wires and harness's then it's over for me. The dealer want's almost as much to install it as the parts cost.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My dealer gets $85/hr. For that, I'd pick his brains before ordering and do it yourself!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's not tooooo bad, you get the lights, a fuse, a relay and a new turn signal stalk with the proper fog / headlamp config. the wiring is already in the Vehicle and it's pretty much plug n play.... BUT (you knew there was a but...) the dealer has to take the StarScanner and tell the vehicle that it has fog lamps for them actually to work. Then if they are really nice they will add them to your option list for you so things (the switch perhaps...) can be warrantied. Hope this helps...:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Found This...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Commander-or-Grand-Cherokee-Factory-Fog-Lights_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQitemZ8045943198QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. That sounds like it's something I can handle. I knew about the dealer activation thing, do they charge you for that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hemi05WJ said:
BUT (you knew there was a but...) the dealer has to take the StarScanner and tell the vehicle that it has fog lamps for them actually to work. Then if they are really nice they will add them to your option list for you so things (the switch perhaps...) can be warrantied.
That's weird about needing to program the fog lights in. I hadn't heard that.
As for the items being under warranty, they will Warrant them under your factory warranty because they're a MOPAR product.

·
Registered
161 Posts
INTREPER said:
As for the items being under warranty, they will Warrant them under your factory warranty because they're a MOPAR product.
Yes, they are Mopar, BUT... If they aren't on the option list, if a problem occurs and the dealer tries to warranty them, their claim will bounce since it isn't a recognized accy on that vehicle. So to save the hassle have them add it to the list...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok for you guys that have installed the kit what is it like to do? do you have to remove the front bumper cover?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too like to do most things myself, but for $264. I let the dealer install it. They did everything even washed it for me. They told us that it would be covered under the 3/36000 warr. So, I guess it is all about whether you enjoy doing it it or if it is worth approx. $100 to let them do it, maybe check to see how much they charge to program

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone posted a thread about fog lamp install; the stalk that comes with it has auto lamp feature does it not? If so does the feature req a light sensor, or is it already on the truck, and all it needs is a scan.

·
Registered
184 Posts
superbee said:
Someone posted a thread about fog lamp install; the stalk that comes with it has auto lamp feature does it not? If so does the feature req a light sensor, or is it already on the truck, and all it needs is a scan.
RedCommander said:
You'd have to have the light sensor in the middle of the dash for the auto headlights to work.
Just so nobody is confused, here are pics of the 2 different light sensors.
The sensor in the middle of the dashboard is an ambient light sensor that merely determines if it is light or dark out and tells the computer when to turn your headlights on or off.

The Second light sensor is the automatic headlight dimmer “camera” (camera is what DCX calls it, but it doesn’t work like a regular camera for those who might have any ideas). It looks for oncoming headlights and then tells the computer to dim your headlights if you have the automatic high beam feature enabled.

Sorry about the extra "radar detector" stuff in the pic, the sensor should be highlighted in red.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I just did the install on these fog lights. Easy install. There is a access door in the wheel well so you can access the back of the fog lights. The wires are preran into a holder that is located towards the middle bottom of the front end.

:( The stalk that my kit came with Did NOT have the autosensing option with it.

Replacing the stalk is quite simple 3 torx releases the sterring wheel cover, 2 torx releases the stalk push forward and walla it unplugs. slide the new one in and reassemble.

Total install time took me about 30-45mins. Only thing left is for the dealer to inform my commander it has fog lights.

The only reason for the programing I can see is that by Federal Regs the Fog Lights must turn off when the High Beams are turned on.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
:) Just had the dealer turn on my lights at no charge.

Only complaint is 1 bulb was defective but I changed out the Lights with Silver Stars so it equaled out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just did the install on these fog lights. Easy install. There is a access door in the wheel well so you can access the back of the fog lights. The wires are preran into a holder that is located towards the middle bottom of the front end.

:( The stalk that my kit came with Did NOT have the autosensing option with it.

Replacing the stalk is quite simple 3 torx releases the sterring wheel cover, 2 torx releases the stalk push forward and walla it unplugs. slide the new one in and reassemble.

Total install time took me about 30-45mins. Only thing left is for the dealer to inform my commander it has fog lights.

The only reason for the programing I can see is that by Federal Regs the Fog Lights must turn off when the High Beams are turned on.:rolleyes:
Cool! How did the covers come out (where the fog light fits in)?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They just clip in so I just felt for the tabs and pulled down and pushed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
One finally burned out... looking at replacing with the Hyper Yellow Bulbs which may work better here in the winter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts