Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, 9005's fit in the FOGs. I know that some vehicles have had trouble with higher wattage bulbs overheating and melting housings in other vehicles fog lights (some mid 2000's F150's). Curious if anyone has attempted this on this vehicle? Might have to snag another set of HIR's if so...(man I love those)

Too bad the 9006s dont fit... I have several of those laying around, and I'd feel more comfortable with 55w instead of 65w bulbs.

I suppose that I could just snag 9155 bulbs from http://store.candlepower.com/9155.html but those darned things cost MORE than HIR's and 1350 lumens vs 2350 lumens is nothing to scoff at. I suppose a fog light doesn't need to throw that much light, but hey I want more.

Hrm found some (hopefully 55w) 9155's on amazon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your HIR talk has inspired me to look deeper into them. Hadn't heard of them before you, I don't think.

I'll follow along with this one as I haven't tried. I'm always looking for more light.

I will say after coming from the JK, the XKs lights are WORLDS better.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your HIR talk has inspired me to look deeper into them. Hadn't heard of them before you, I don't think.

I'll follow along with this one as I haven't tried. I'm always looking for more light.

I will say after coming from the JK, the XKs lights are WORLDS better.
One of the best things that I have done to my XK was the HIR's. My wife loves them. (How often can you really say that about a mod?) Of course I found out that 9011's can be made to work in the lows after the fact, and I installed those in my friend's Titan (which is 9005/9006 stock same as our XK's), and the output is even better.

~$25 after shipping from RockAuto is awesome, cheaper even than Silverstar Ultras (yuck blue glass) or something similar. I only wish that I could install them in my truck. Unfortunately I think that I am going to have to run overwattage 9007's on relays in that.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Digging my old post up. I have 9005's and HIR1's sitting around (9011).

Installed some in fogs and in lows to have a comparison vs the stock 9145 fogs and my upgraded HIR2's (9012's) in my lows.

Looks like the 9011's in the fogs may be a bit blinding, although i wasn't on level ground. I'll have to try it again and drive it around to see what the cutoff is like @ a distance.

Fogs first:
STock (older) 9145 fogs

9011's in drivers side fog and 9145's in passenger (you can see that I borrowed my HIR1's from my denali in the background)

Ok and 9011's in passenger side low beam vs 9012's in drivers side. Note the increased color temperature (often measured in kelvins) Looks the the HIR1's are more of a cool white (more pure white, than the HIR2's which appear to be warmer (more yellow)

Cutoff still seems fine against the garage door (the light bleed you are seeing above the cutoff is actually a reflection from the metal door), hard to tell the difference in brightness there though.

Keep in mind that I am comparing HIR1's to HIR2's If i was comparing HIR1's to 9006 (our stock bulbs) the difference would be HUGE

This is with no relays or any modifications to the vehicle @ all. I have simply modified the base of the bulb so that it fits in our housings and the little guide tabs in the base of the bulb so that our wiring harness plugs in.

The 9011's are available @ rockauto for ~$25 shipped for a pair. Best bang for your buck lighting upgrade possible IMHO.

In retrospect this deserves its own thread since I suppose the title doesn't really apply anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts