Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I bought a 07 commander 3.7 on 12/14 :) I love it. (Wish it had a little more power, and wish it was loaded but that's about it :p )

I have 2 questions about the 2nd row seats, lol..

I will never use it most likely, so it's not THAT important.

But, how exactly do you fold and "tumble" the 2nd row seats? (I have the third row seats)

I read the manual, it basically just says to pull on the lever, well, I did that. The seats fold but will not "tumble" (like in the picture in the manual).. is there some kind of secret to it that I am missing?

Another question about the 2nd row seats. Is there a lock for the middle part of the seat to make it stay up or will it ideally stay up by itself? It was down whenever I bought the vehicle, and I can put it back up but it just kind of stays there.. I can't figure out a way to lock it so it won't fall down (It hasn't fallen down yet, but I don't want it to)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
First fold the seat down.
Using the same lever that folds the seat, push the rear of the seat down to unload the latch and raise the lever even further.....it will have about double the lifting resistance than was needed to fold the seat.....the seat will then disengage and fold up to the back of the front seat.
Both sides do this to ease entry to the third row.

The rear seat center section is supposed to latch.....the release mechanism to fold it is a strap at the bottom, right of center (pass side)
You might want to pull and release the strap a few times....maybe someones old french fries are hung up in there....otherwise its off to a dealer or a interior shop to get it to latch properly.
There is a nice armrest and cupholder built into the center section if you haven't found it yet and you will alsu find the rear seat backs recline.....kindof a nice feature IMO.

Good luck and wecome!

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First fold the seat down.
Using the same lever that folds the seat, push the rear of the seat down to unload the latch and raise the lever even further.....it will have about double the lifting resistance than was needed to fold the seat.....the seat will then disengage and fold up to the back of the front seat.
Both sides do this to ease entry to the third row.

The rear seat center section is supposed to latch.....the release mechanism to fold it is a strap at the bottom, right of center (pass side)
You might want to pull and release the strap a few times....maybe someones old french fries are hung up in there....otherwise its off to a dealer or a interior shop to get it to latch properly.
There is a nice armrest and cupholder built into the center section if you haven't found it yet and you will alsu find the rear seat backs recline.....kindof a nice feature IMO.

Good luck and wecome!

Rob
I'll have to try both of these :D

Yes, I know there is an armrest there haha, and I know they recline but thanks :)

I'll let you know how it goes..

Edit: Ahh... you have to push down on the back of the seat when you are trying to get it to release to "tumble" it.. it works :D Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see this anywhere in the manual haha

I can't seem to get the middle portion of the seat to latch/lock.. no biggie, it stays up on it's own at least so far.

Also, I sat in the back seats (2nd row and 3rd) both are uncomfortable.. especially the 3rd. Also, the 2nd row doesn't seem to recline all that far? Almost seems like a waste of time and (probably) money to include that feature..

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Edit: Ahh... you have to push down on the back of the seat when you are trying to get it to release to "tumble" it.. it works :D Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see this anywhere in the manual haha
Yea, the tumble forward is spring loaded to help tumble that seat forward easily, it resists unlatching the tumble forward portion and makes it very hard to pull the lever up the full pull to unlatch the tumble forward, pushing down on the seat to relieve some of that spring pressure on the latch makes it a lot easier to pull the lever up.

I can't seem to get the middle portion of the seat to latch/lock.. no biggie, it stays up on it's own at least so far.
Check a strap or something other hasn't fallen behind that seat and didn't get lodged in the latch or is keeping the seat from going all the way into position. The 3rd row, folded down, has little straps for pulling the seats up from the rear, that could get caught in the 2nd row seats as you fold them back. (Oh, if you haven't noticed yet, 3rd row up does restrict visibility a bit in the rear, most people leave them folded down unless they need them.) Under the 2nd row seats seems to become a catch all, a lot of junk collects there, might want to pull the seat back and make sure its NOT some garbage collected from the previous owner under there.

Also, I sat in the back seats (2nd row and 3rd) both are uncomfortable.. especially the 3rd. Also, the 2nd row doesn't seem to recline all that far? Almost seems like a waste of time and (probably) money to include that feature..
Uncomfortable how? NOT enough room? OR the seat themselves are uncomfortable on the bottom and back to sit in?

All my Commander seats do seem much firmer and flatter then my mini-van or other vehicles. It takes a little getting used to, but I've taken 5-7 hour trips in my Commander and none of us, including my 6'3" son in the 2nd row have complained of being uncomfortable.

As far as space in the 2nd row, the seats are higher then the front, you sit more upright, like a mini-van. So even though the space between front and 2nd row seat seems close, there is more then enough room for most people in a normal sitting position. Do you have the first row seats reclined? That will smash the 2nd row passenger. My kids and friends always want to ride with their seats reclined, like they're some kind of low riders. I don't know why I guess its a generational thing, but yea, if people are in the 2nd row are going to get smashed.

Yea, the third row is the best they could do without making the Commander into some sort of behemoth SUV or into a mini-van. Perfect option for our family of five, now that the oldest is in college. We rarely needed the 3rd row of mini-van, but definitely did from time to time, so having a third row, even though it was only comfortable for kids or barebly for adults for a short drive, works perfectly for us. If you need a third row sometimes, your only other options are mini-van or one of the much larger SUV's. I don't know, maybe I'm biased because I came from a mini-van, and needed it, to the Commander, while still needing mini-van features occassionally, so the compromises were perfect for me, others don't see it that way I guess.

Almost seems like a waste of time and (probably) money to include that feature..
That's why Jeep sells the much more popular Grand Cherokee, its the exact same thing only a little smaller and only a 2nd row of seats set further back. Granted the 2nd row of Grand Cherokee of the same years as the Commander sits lower and is probably as uncomfortable as the Commanders. As well, I think a few people picked the Commander over the Grand Cherokee because of styling difference, but other then styling, seating and interior room (which wheelbase goes along with that) they are just about the same vehicle.

The new Grand Cherokee, 2011 and on, has a lot more back seat room, like large sedans.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I've never had anyone sit in the way back seats. I would take them out except the floor is not designed to be very useful without them there. Another flaw is the vast chasm between the surface of the folded 3rd row and the tumbled 2nd row.

I'm one of those styling buyers mentioned. The whole Compass/Grand Cherokee styling says wimpy Asian poser, not a real Jeep to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yea it took a little bit to fold the 2nd row first time I did it. I really like the commander just wish the v6 was the one in the new cheroke and it had more utility features like some other suv/minivans. I also dont like that the 2nd and 3rd row are higher up than the front and they dont create a flat floor.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also have a 2007 Commander, but with the 4.7 V8 which I do find very adequate.
I think of the 3rd seating as an emergency measure, in case I really must use them.
I have a back condition and actually find the Commander front seats to be extremely comfortable, especially on long trips. I put the middle row down a lot because it seems I'm always hauling some crap my wife is buying, but don't have the need to tumble them. Good luck with your Commander, I hope you enjoy it! Ken

·
Registered
232 Posts
I haven't had a problem with the seats as far as comfort. I've been on long trips (1000 miles plus) with my parents several times. My mother has riden in the 2nd row seats on those trips and was comfotable. The 2nd row seats recline just enough to make the passenger not sit as verticlly as they would otherwise. When I first got the Commander, I tried sitting in the 3rd row seats just to see how they were. I'm a big man, so I didn't fit well and haven't had need to use them since.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys :)

The front seats are very comfortable. The 2nd row just seems hard and flat, and the third row is just too small for an adult. It's okay though, I'll never sit back there and doubt anybody else will either haha (meaning it's usually only me or another person and I in the jeep at the same time)

Also, I bought the commander for looks, and need. Not for the third row lol :) I used to have a 98 cherokee (not grand) and traded it in in 2009. I miss(ed) it a lot and the commander is basically a bigger cherokee. I love it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just hit the pair of latches on both sides with
some white lithium grease spray, (CRC) and open
and closed them about 20 times each. No more
hanging up. Just went back and wiped off the
excess with a paper towel.

Works like new again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
2nd row seats tumbling forward ?

Seems as though I recall several people on here mentioning that the 2nd row seats do not tumble forward. Only fold up or down. However, an Instagram follower has a photo of his 2nd row seat clearly folded up and forward. Has anyone found the release mechanism is make this happen ?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Seems as though I recall several people on here mentioning that the 2nd row seats do not tumble forward. Only fold up or down. However, an Instagram follower has a photo of his 2nd row seat clearly folded up and forward. Has anyone found the release mechanism is make this happen ?
@Gotowork, I have merged your thread with this one. If you read this thread it will answer your question. In the future please use the search function before making a new thread. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts