Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......this is from an MSN Hybrid Q & A about EPA Window Sticker posts:

"If people really kept good track of the mileage they get on their regular cars, they'd find that it bears little resemblance to their EPA window sticker. The fact is, the EPA test methods are hopelessly out of date. For example, to get the mileage average for city driving, the EPA runs a car on a laboratory tread mill at an average speed of 20 mph and with no air conditioning running. For highway driving, the EPA's average speed is 45 mph. I think all of us know that traffic moves a lot faster than that these days. The good news, though, is that the EPA recognizes that its 20-year-old methodology is no longer real-world. And they are currently working on establishing new test methods, which will include higher speeds and cars running with the A/C on. But as with as government rules changes, this will come very slowly. The EPA won't start using these new test methods for at least another two years. So when it comes to those EPA window stickers, buyer beware. They can overestimate mileage by as much as 30 percent."

Hence, my 13 mpg ave. 50/50 city-hwy driving that I'm getting w/ my 4.7 V8 engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yah, that's about what I'm getting in my 65th 4.7L. My wife generally drives it to work and back( a whole 2 miles or so) and she averages about 10-11.5 miles per gallon depending on the Air Conditioning factor. We're dissappointed, but not upset. It's a great vehicle. Looks great, pulls great, and the ride is great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It makes me wonder why I have no difficulty getting over 15mpg mostly city driving when I don't give a hoot about mpg and stand on the gas now and then for fun. When I care and drive using the tried and true egg on the gas pedal method and drive a bit more highway, I'm getting just over 19mpg. The only one I drove that had poor gas mileage was a Hemi Commander. To be fair though, I only calculated my mileage after approximately 100 miles and I stood on the gas alot!

Just out of curiosity, what are the build dates on your Commanders that are having this bad mileage and TSB issues? I don't wish to call this a trick on buying first year vehicles, but it has worked for me over the years and this is what I did w/ mine. I'm leary on first year vehicles but when I make the decision to buy (as I did on the Commander), I wait for the end of first year production once the TSBs get out there correcting any bugs that show up. On vehicles such as the Commander, the manufacturers appear to try very hard to weed out these issues quickly and get them corrected to avoid any recalls which may sink their investment in the new model.

Build dates in December have been lucky for me in the past and my December Commander is no exception. IIRC the first Commanders went out in July of 2005 (they were available in August), so this puts mine approximately six months later. Most of the TSBs involving any issues had been identified and corrected by then. I hope this remains true as I normally run my vehicles till the wheels fall of and this is normally over 250,000 miles.

Could it be that you guys have the older transmissions that were assembled with the defective filters causing inefficient operation and low mpg???? Could it be that you guys are standing on the gas far more than you realise????

I'd suggest combing thru every single TSB and prove or disprove if you are a candidate for any of the questionable build dates/parts. If you have a questionable Commander, get it corrected now (ASAP) per the recommended methods as described in the TSBs. If your particular service department is incompetent, find one that is capable and get it corrected.

I notice that there are major leaks through the firewall of Hemi Commanders due to a stupid $1 seal that may have been omitted on some models (easily fixed). An annoying leak around doors, pillars, etc may come from a simple air bubble in the hi-tech bake on adhesive. The jams, seals and such are well engineered but the stupid adhesive in 8 or 9 places may have popped up. Easily fixed, but your service person needs to follow the steps to cover all the bases. It sounds like some of these shops are just repeating 1st base over and over again, not getting the job done and pissing off alot of customers. Maybe your transmission is suffering pressure problems due to the identified defective parts and is killing your mileage.

Not meaning to rant or belittle anyone. I jumped into this boat like most all of you and I view this forum as a way to maximize our knowledge and enjoyment of our chosen XK. If there is a problem, we can band together and share our woes. If their are solutions, we can band together and work to get them corrected and behind us. I believe that my Commander getting consistent 19mpg highway and your Commander getting only 12-13mpg highway is more than normal EPA variances and more than current manufacturer tolerances. Something is amiss.

XKPearl

·
Banned
71 Posts
Mine was built around the 1st of June 2006, and has the wind whistle problem. It does NOT have the sunroofs, so it is not that TSB. I'm getting about 13 in city rush hour traffic, but I only have 450 miles on it and have not been on the highway long enough to tell. The few times I have been on the interstate I reset the electronic counters and it was showing about 18 mpg at 75 mph.

However, I expected this since I rented a Commander for two days from Budget and I got 13-14 in commuting traffic. I highly recommend renting a Commander to any one interested in buying one. There is no better way to see if you like a vehicle than to rent one for a while. A normal test drive is no where near enough to tell if you like something.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife just called, she's enroute home from her parent's Michigan farm. She's logged about 1400 miles on this trip so far driving at various speeds up to just over 80mph and has had no problems w/ any whistling, noises, leaks, etc. When she monitors her driving using cruise control, her mpg has been consistent in the 19 to 19.2mpg range. She went through a tank of gas w/out monitoring her speed and w/out cruise control, stepping on the gas now and again to pass, and her gas mileage only dropped to 18.4mpg. Maybe, just maybe, my streak of "good luck" December built cars is holding true.

XKPearl:)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
XKPearl said:
My wife just called, she's enroute home from her parent's Michigan farm. She's logged about 1400 miles on this trip so far driving at various speeds up to just over 80mph and has had no problems w/ any whistling, noises, leaks, etc. When she monitors her driving using cruise control, her mpg has been consistent in the 19 to 19.2mpg range. She went through a tank of gas w/out monitoring her speed and w/out cruise control, stepping on the gas now and again to pass, and her gas mileage only dropped to 18.4mpg. Maybe, just maybe, my streak of "good luck" December built cars is holding true.

I'm a bit confused by your mileage findings. More than two weeks into the month of July ('06), you posted that your first tank averaged 15 mpg and that you expected your second tank to be better. Since it is now the end of July, have you logged many more tankfuls of gas to get your average? If not, then how can you say that you are a consistent 19 mpg range?

It seems to me that your Commander doesn't have many miles under its belt, so maybe other members are posting more "real world" figures.

Personally, I'm not one to even check my gas mileage, but my buddy started a simple Excel spreadsheet to track his mileage over more than a year. His data represents fuel economy figures over all conditions, including the cold of winter and the heat of summer. Not to mention the changes in the supplied gas, which means different summer & winter blends.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Post 1 on my mileage:
4.7L 4x4. After first tank of mostly city/rural driving C/T indicated 13.2mpg but actual calculated was 15mpg. Now on my second tank I'm driving about 25% highway and so far my C/T is now running in the 16-17mpg range so I expect my actual mpg to go up at least as well.

XKPearl

Post 2 on my mileage:
Update on my Commander. My wife just phoned to report on her trip up to the family farm in Michigan (I'm stuck working). She is just over 700miles in this trip loaded up w/ my family and gear and has averaged 19.2mpg. She has had no problem w/ the 20.5gallon tank being too small w/ this gas mileage and said that it works out perfect for pit stops and food. She had read a report on one of the blogs that the commander seats were uncomfortable when driving long distance, her responce is that they are full of crap. She has logged thousands of miles on her dad's last two loaded Suburbans (which are very comfortable) and she prefers driving the Commander.

XKPearl

Post 3 on my mileage, though it predates Post 2:
It makes me wonder why I have no difficulty getting over 15mpg mostly city driving when I don't give a hoot about mpg and stand on the gas now and then for fun. When I care and drive using the tried and true egg on the gas pedal method and drive a bit more highway, I'm getting just over 19mpg. The only one I drove that had poor gas mileage was a Hemi Commander. To be fair though, I only calculated my mileage after approximately 100 miles and I stood on the gas alot!

XKPearl

And then above my 4th Post on the subject. What gives w/ you? Are you really looking at the Commander or do you get a thrill sitting back and constantly nit-picking everything? Are you a mole from Toyota? You sound like a Toyota employee or former employee w/ a bone to pick. BTW, my wife just walked in the door and she averaged over 19 miles per gallons again on her last tank. No leaks, no noises, everything worked.

XKPearl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I average 13 mpg in city (upwards to 14.5 on tollways here in Houston). Just did a 3.5 hr one way weekend trip and back down to Padre Beach and at speeds of 65-80 mph I averaged 16.5 mpg. My 4.7L XK was built in Nov. '05 and on this trip (my longest yet) the damn windnoise problem finally revealed itself. It sounds like morse-code coming out of the glove box but I have the TSB and remedy to take to dealership.

I love the beast that is the Commander. Of course, the '07 has new items I wish I had held out for.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
XKPearl said:
What gives w/ you? Are you really looking at the Commander or do you get a thrill sitting back and constantly nit-picking everything? Are you a mole from Toyota? You sound like a Toyota employee or former employee w/ a bone to pick. BTW, my wife just walked in the door and she averaged over 19 miles per gallons again on her last tank. No leaks, no noises, everything worked.

XKPearl
A mole? LOL, what? No, I'm not a Toyota employee...this post (or tread) has nothing to do with Toyota. It's just a question about your mileage calculations.

It's funny though, because I used to be a tech at a Toyota dealership, but that was years ago. I've since moved on to bigger and better things.

Anyway, my question was about your calculations. How many miles do you have on your Commander? Judging from your earlier posts, it seems that you were on your first tank of gas in mid July, which would mean that you cannot possibly have that many tankfuls for a true fuel economy figure.

But then again, you said that you own a Commander built in December, so I don't see how you could possibly be on your first tank in July, unless your Commander sat on the lot for months before you picked it up.

So what gives? How long have you had your Commander? How many miles so far? And what is your overall fuel economy? If I end up buying a Commander, it will most likely not be the Hemi nor the V6, so I'm interesting in your findings.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the HEMI Limited 4x4 QD2... average about 13.4 mpg on my normal weekly commute which is about 30 miles - half city driving and half open road at 74 mph. The two road trips I have taken have pumped the mpg up to 17.6.

I am no light foot driver - thus the HEMI :) Nor do I really care about the milage - I bought for the power and torque.

(now I just wish the dealership would get it fixed so I can drive it more than a few weeks before it goes back in for more issues :( )

·
Registered
110 Posts
TR4Runner said:
Its just a question about your mileage calculations.

Anyway, my question was about your calculations. How many miles do you have on your Commander? Judging from your earlier posts, it seems that you were on your first tank of gas in mid July, which would mean that you cannot possibly have that many tankfuls for a true fuel economy figure.

So what gives? How long have you had your Commander? How many miles so far? And what is your overall fuel economy? If I end up buying a Commander, it will most likely not be the Hemi nor the V6, so I'm interesting in your findings.
My Commander has just under 3,000 miles on the odometer and is approaching its first service maintenance. It has been driven offroad, rural, city and interstate highway and has been driven in (7) seven states. It is not a daily driver, but is used for recreational purposes and is driven in big spurts. July was such a big spurt and it will be November before it sees another.

I maintain a detailed vehicle expense journal that includes all gasoline purchases, miles logged, and places driven. I make notations as to the C/T EVIC display to compare w/ the actual calculated miles per gallon.

-The most gasoline required to top off the tank was 17.018 gallons; therefore, the 20.5 gallon tank has not been a negative factor w/ my 4.7L. In November I'll be offroad most of the month on Jeep trails that are approximately 10 -15 miles from the nearest maintained road and even further to the nearest fuel station. In that scenerio I'll carry an addition 20Ls fuel in a Scepter can.

- The worst averaged gas mileage was my first 260 miles, 15.2mpg. This was a mix of offroad and rural driving w/ very little highway. In addition, I did numerous full-throttle accelerations as recommended by DCX for proper break-in.

- On interstate highway using normal techniques to maximize fuel economy these averages ran from 19 to 19.2mpg. One leg was tested w/out cruise and w/ occasional heavy acceleration for passing and the average mileage dropped to 18.4mpg.

- Other than my first 260 miles, my rural/city averages have been above 16mpg. When I get approximately 25% highway, these averages are above 17mpg.

I do not see anything unusual about my Commander as it seems to be on par w/ Jeep and EPA specs. As to date, mine has displayed none of the TSB issues that have plagued others. I feel as though my mileage and experiences are "real word" as it gets and in fact I may even push the envelope more than the average user. The point of my post on this thread was to question if these TSB issues w/ the transmission were a contributing factor to some of the very low reported mpg w/ the 4.7L. It seems logical to me that a transmission not shifting properly will hurt mileage. I do not see someone getting under 14mpg on the highway as being w/in normal EPA tolerances, as long as they are driving efficiently. This is why I could not get the Hemi as the fun factor overcame my ability to drive efficiently.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Hmmm... that's not bad fuel economy for the 4.7L. It looks like you're getting exactly what the EPA says you should get.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the 3.7 V6 at 1000 miles I changed the oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic, I also removed the air intake snorkel as mentioned in one of the threads. I have averaged according to the computer on a highway 74 mph using cruise control 21.6 the last few days I have done a lot of city driving and I am at 15.8 mpg.

·
Registered
473 Posts
our 3.7 gets about 15.0 around town depending on whos driving (my wife has a leadfoot):eek:
i get about 15.4 and my wife gets about 14.5. the only trip i checked was when i first got it i went about an hour away and reset the meter and it got 19.5 highway.
i have done nothing to it.
i'd like to get more than that but i'm afraid to do any mods to it. i don't want to affect my warranty or cause any problems.

just for comparison sake i have a 1996 1/2 ton x-cab chevy 4x4 5.7 and i get about 13.5-14.0 without the air on. running the air drops it about 2 mpg.

·
Registered
110 Posts
david803sc said:
I have the 3.7 V6 at 1000 miles I changed the oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic, I also removed the air intake snorkel as mentioned in one of the threads. I have averaged according to the computer on a highway 74 mph using cruise control 21.6 the last few days I have done a lot of city driving and I am at 15.8 mpg.
David,

Running that Mobil 1 Synthetic may indeed be good but check the TSBs. I cannot recall if it referred to a specific Mopar +5 motor oil or a specific Mopar transmission fluid. It may have been the transmission fluid, but this TSB superceeded all previous recommendations and it warned the techs to only use this oil. It may be related to initial engine break-in, but then again I may be mistaken and it may only relate to the transmission.

XKPearl

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think I read in another thread that the hemi's require the 5w-30 or something. Our 4.7 uses 10w-30 which is written on the oil cap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used the 10-w 30 as reccomended jsut used the Mobil 1 instead of the regular oil. I waited until I was over 1000 miles as reccomended by the dealer, the owners manual states that the break in of the engine is complete at 300 miles, but that waiting to 1000 to be sure.

I have looked through the TSB's and do not see any related to engine oil. There is one about Transmission fluid, whic basicaly says the Commander has ATF4 and should only replace with ATF4.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i will need a few more days to verify but last week i posted that my 3.7 was averaging about 15.0 city. the last few days it dropped from 15.2 down to 14.2 with no change in driving conditions. i reset the gauge and after about 15 miles in town it is at about 11.0.
motor seems to be running fine. just turned 6000 miles. if i see no improvement in the next few days then it will be going in to get checked.

i'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
went on a 150 mile trip and reset the meter before i left. reading 19.9mpg with minimal in town driving with a 3.7.

can't complain about that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Went on a 3300 mile round trip to Minnesota and back. On average we got around 14.3 mpg towing a 2000+lb boat. (4.7) When not towing we averaged 17.6 mpg, 50% highway 50% dirt road.

We weren't surprised about our mpg, it just wasnt as good as my 4.7 Ram 1500. Last year on the same trip we averaged 16.7 towing, 19.3 not towing.

While going to work (120 highway miles) I average 18.3 for the Commander and 20.5 for the truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts