Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you running wheel spacers? I have read about the tires rubbing with a 2-inch lift, but is that with AND without spacers? I am trying to get away without running the sweel spacers. I don't mind a bit of rub

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
When I first lifted mine, I was holding off on spacers until I got the tires mounted, to see exactly how badly I needed them. Short of the story? You need them. :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do you need them becuase they rub on the ball joint bolt or because they rub on the inner fender well?

·
Registered
735 Posts
well with the 255/75/17 th ball joint is a hair from the tiren you can i guess cut the bolt like he is saying but there is not alot to be cuting on the bolt and they will RUB and RUB bad.lol i put mine on without my space jsust to see what it looked like and let me tell you they rubbed. the spacer sets if off a little and gives alot more room. also the stands is alot nicer with the whel spacers.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Scion4x4 Has Some Good Before And After Shots Of His Wheel Spacers.

i used some 1.5" wheel spacers on mine. i had less rubbing on the fender well after i did that. and it looks much better sticking out a bit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just curious ( Im sure I could find this in a thread....) what is the largest size you can run without the spacers?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

That's before spacer. It's blurry, but my camera was having a hard time focusing. Forgot all about the fact that it had a macro setting that would've made things nicer, but... oh well, you get the point.

Also, from the outside...

Before:

After:

(front/back comparison, but still, you get the point).

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
So yes you need spacers. I am having an issue with mine right now I am trying to hold off for new rims but the inner tire is getting cut up if I make locked turns. Just so you can see I am running 265/70/17 and they are Firestone Destination M/Ts this is without a spacer..

Sorry for the insanely large pic but you get to see all the details!

Rubbing against the ball joint bolt is not too bad it rubs on it about a hair and only on one of the alternating lugs of the tires tread. I could cut the bolt but I'd rather not.

However if you look closely at my tires tread you can see where chunks are getting sliced off from an almost fully locked turn. This is caused by the inner fenderwell (metal) rubbing the bottom edge like a knife through the tire.

I could drive like this for a while which it looks like I am going to have to, but I will look into purchasing new rims or spacers soon. I am not a fan of spacer/adapter type deals, I would rather put the money into a new rim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thank you all very much for the pics and info. I was trying to run the 255/75/17 because they were so cheap compared to 245/70/17 KM2's or the 245/75/17 BFG AT's. If all i needed was the lift to make them fit it still would have been cheaper, but looks like i may just go with the AT's. That way i can get the bigger tires and put the lift on later.

·
Registered
331 Posts
the factory offset is +25mm.

that means the mounting plate is 1 inch off center to the outboard side. which means the factory wheels pull the outer edge of the wheel in an inch.

these
wheels are 18mm offset. I think you might be able to get away with the 255 75 17's not rubbing the ball joint bolt without a spacer on them.

these
are +25's same as factory

·
Registered
521 Posts
so I am finally breaking down and getting some new tires, Firestone destination A/t's but am stuck between 255/75/17 and 255/70/17. WITH spacers and a RR lift, am I going to get rubbing with the 75's or should I go down to the 70's

edit: I just saw these: BF Goodrich Mud T/A (I think this is what sciron is running, Did you have rubbing problems?) For $94 I don't know if this is something to pass up! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=575QR7MTAKM&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

·
Registered
283 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
so I am finally breaking down and getting some new tires, Firestone destination A/t's but am stuck between 255/75/17 and 255/70/17. WITH spacers and a RR lift, am I going to get rubbing with the 75's or should I go down to the 70's

edit: I just saw these: BF Goodrich Mud T/A (I think this is what sciron is running, Did you have rubbing problems?) For $94 I don't know if this is something to pass up! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=575QR7MTAKM&fromCompare1=yes&place=0
Those are exactly what I am running. You will get rubbing on the back of the wheel well, even with spacers. Cutting the plastic back and bending a pinch weld takes care of the rubbing.
edit: easy to say, harder to decide to do.

We get a little noise at highway speeds but nothing objectionable.

·
Registered
283 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
do you think I will run into more problems with mud flaps too?
No. There is a folded-out piece of metal ("pinch-weld") that sticks into the wheelwell. Jeep put a nicely molded plastic cover over the entire well, and molded a bump into it over the weld. This bump is what rubs.

Right now I have hacked off the bottom half of the molded plastic cover, and am experimenting with various ways to pretty-up the resulting ugly mess. Still haven't found the perfect solution yet...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Try a heat gun on the fender well and reshape it prior to cutting it up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Go for the 255/70/17, you should not have any rubbing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts