Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FORTIN REMOTE STARTER INSTALL (key fob only)
Tools needed: wire strippers, electrical tape, zip ties, 18 gage wire butt connectors, 3 inch long torx 20 screw driver

- order fortin remote start from here: http://www.mypushcart.com/Remote-Start-Table-Jeep.htm (note I ordered the ‘add-on’ that uses existing key fob pressing lock x3 to remote start)
- Once ordered and received in the mail open up and find the t-harness and white 20 pin connector harness. Connect the first yellow wire (pin 1) from the 20 pin connector to the loose yellow wire on the t – harness (note: I did this using a butt connector and electrical tap)
**NOTE: do not cut any wires on the T- harness. It is not necessary!!**
- Go to your jeep and lower the kick panel below the steering wheel. Remove lower steering wheel column cover by removing 3 torx screws.
- Follow the following you tube video to install t-harness and program fortin remote starter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkTaGIVIwk (note: the clip to remove the ignition wire harness is at the top. Press down and slide towards engine)
- Zip tie wires and unit under the dash. I zip tied it to the metal vertical bar next to the ignition.
- Re-install lower steering wheel column cover and put 3 screws back in
- put back kick panel

·
Registered
102 Posts
nighowl:
Can you tell me how it has been working for you?
I purchased the kit that MyPushcart.com showed for my '06 Limited, and it's so far a turd.
It's got two different modules, the "EVO" and the "DS1", I giess one is the starter and the other is a bypass.

My real issue (other than it working very, very sporadically) is that when it DOES work.... it doesn't let the heater / defroster run. so what the hell's the point in the remote-start? :dunno:

do you have this same problem?
what year do you have?

·
Registered
123 Posts
maytag whats the manufacturing date of your truck?if its like mine (2005) that's an early model witch sometimes canbus protocols are different from the later 2006 + models.i had the fortin evo ch5 with a zenesis alarm starter combo and most of the time it woudnt work so I opted for a idatalink ads al ca ch5 bypass module with a viper 5901 alarm starter combo and never had a problem again and its been it the truck for 4 years now.i had a problem once after all that with a 2007 dodge caliber 2.0l again with a fortin bypass module most of the time the starter would not work so I ended up directly at fortin since im at around 50miles from them and spent a day with the 2 guys desining their products I was a guinia pig since they had never encountered that problem before.they had no one to work on the car so I was their mecanics for the day after I explained that I had my own shop and I install remote starter too plus I was an electronics amateur that I work with pcb fabrication and microcontrollers.so we worked on the car the whole day to find out that even tho the car was built in 2006 canbus protocols where of a 2008 and not 2007 so after reprogramming the module never had a problem since. so I would suggest you try programming your evo module for a 2005 grand Cherokee same engine since our truck was not made for 2005 or try programming it for a 2007 commander if that doesn't work then you will have to go with idatalink ads al ca ch5
hope that helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts